Page 41 of 165 FirstFirst ... 3139404142435191141 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Presidential Candidates

I’m pretty liberal but I’m also big on individual freedoms. I also read thousands of pages about child development and education before deciding to home school my kids for the first few years. It’s not good for kids for sit at a desk all day at a young age. I think it would be better to start formal education at about age 8-10 depending on the kid.

But the parents can’t afford all that day care, etc.

We lived on 20,000 a year for several years so I could stay home with the kids. That was 1980s and 1990s, so inflation has happened - but that was still considered to be poverty level I believe.

It wasn’t easy.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Maybe we should just cancel public education entirely. People who think their kids need an education could buy it, or do it themselves. Surely part of parenting is educating one's kids. Some other countries do it that way. And as someone with no kids surely it would save me some money. And save everyone from that evil evil government indoctrination.
    You are clearly trolling. But who are you trolling?

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    And some other countries only educate the boys.
    Bad idealert.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I think that would be an over-reaction, although I'm all in favor of getting the Federal government out of our local school districts. The indoctrination begins in primary schools but really hits it's stride on the college level. It will be interesting to see how the Oberlin College $44M judgement in compensatory and punitive damages will influence other schools, who are most certainly sitting up and taking notice of the future cost of unrestrained SJW advocacy.
    If you teach kids how to think, you usually don't have to worry about what they think.

If you teach kids what to think, that is not education.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    You are clearly trolling. But who are you trolling?
    That was actually a generic troll, tossed out there just to see what kind of reaction I'd get. I don't really have strong opinions on the topic of education because I'm not a teacher or parent. (or public school student, at least as of 33 years ago)

Curiously I actually agree, at least somewhat, with Alan. Based mainly off of the opinions of friends who are teachers I think that two of the worst things to happen to education in my lifetime are Common Core, and No Testing Company Left Behind. Generally I think that states are capable of making reasonable decisions about how best to educate the children who live in them. I'm not sure that I would make that same statement about individual districts.

And I even agree with Alan's opinion about the absurdity of what happened at Oberlin. Shoplifters aren't generally the people I'd want to prioritize as heros or victims from a social justice perspective. Maybe, possibly if the storekeeper had shot them in the back as they ran away with a couple of bottles of wine. But that's not what happened here.

Yppej
    Ivanka Trump promised increased child care subsidies, so the issue has bipartisan appeal.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    If you teach kids how to think, you usually don't have to worry about what they think.

If you teach kids what to think, that is not education.
    How do you go about teaching people “how to think” in a completely value-neutral way? I’ve heard math called racist and logic called a tool of white supremacy.

Common core and all the testing has been a disaster. Y, don’t count on Ivana to actually carry through on anything helpful. She’s a joke like her dad.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Common core and all the testing has been a disaster. Y, don’t count on Ivana to actually carry through on anything helpful. She’s a joke like her dad.
    How would Ivanka carry out subsidies? i mean, since she is not an elected legislator and has no juice.

Why do you think Common Core principles are a “disaster”? President Obama put them into place. Do you think he made a mistake?

I don’t know enough about Common Core at any level of detail to have an opinion except, generally speaking, I don’t like the feds exerting their big giant federal self over issues formerly handled by local and state governments. However, standards are a good thing and there have always been standards so I’m not sure why this particular set of educational standards are not to your liking.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post

Why do you think Common Core principles are a “disaster”? President Obama put them into place. Do you think he made a mistake?
    Yes, I think he made a mistake.

https://chalkbeat.org/posts/us/2019/...work-research/

Personally I think the entire rote learning of facts and then testing the memorization of them system of education is horrible. Sure, it can be, ummmm, tested to see if it works. But it's also a great way to turn kids off of school and learning at an early age. There are much better ways to learn things.

Thread Information