Page 22 of 34 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 220 of 332

Thread: 2020 Presidential Candidates

  1. #211
    Senior Member CathyA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    8,834
    I think since Trump, our next biggest hope is someone closer to the middle. The nation is so divided, and the last thing we need is someone who is so polarizing, like Warren and Sanders. I mean they might not try to be, but their fervor will be viewed as such. The more left or right the nation becomes, the stronger the pull in the opposing direction becomes. We need some middle-ground, especially after the divide that Trump has caused/encouraged.

  2. #212
    Senior Member JaneV2.0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    10,025
    Oh definitely. We've got a racist dog-whistling con artist Russian asset oligarch boot-licking childish insult-throwing, dictator-worshiping, NATO/UN basher, ignorant, illiterate, trampler of the Constitution. By all means let's just elect someone slightly to the left of that. Like Romney! There's the ticket!

    F that.

  3. #213
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    4,754
    Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Oh definitely. We've got a racist dog-whistling con artist Russian asset oligarch boot-licking childish insult-throwing, dictator-worshiping, NATO/UN basher, ignorant, illiterate, trampler of the Constitution. By all means let's just elect someone slightly to the left of that. Like Romney! There's the ticket!

    F that.
    That is exactly what the Democrats should do. Purge the fanatical moderates! The people yearn for revolution!

  4. #214
    Senior Member JaneV2.0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    10,025
    I do yearn for a revolution, preferably bloodless.

    As Jim Hightower says "There's nothing in the middle of the road but yellow stripes and dead armadillos."

  5. #215
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    4,754
    Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I do yearn for a revolution, preferably bloodless.

    As Jim Hightower says "There's nothing in the middle of the road but yellow stripes and dead armadillos."
    Yes, and that electoral philosophy got him no further than the Texas Department of Agriculture.

    I admire a commitment to ideological purity. I think George McGovern was a very admirable guy.

  6. #216
    Senior Member JaneV2.0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    10,025
    I may have voted for McGovern...

    He lost me when I read about the McGovern Commission on Nutrition, which issued the original dietary guidelines with the advice of Ancel Keys and other scoundrels. A shining example of government overreach that kicked off decades of misinformation and professional meddling.

  7. #217
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    4,754
    Just think of the glorious opportunity for government overreach the Green New Dealers will have if they get a mandate to retool the economy.

  8. #218
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,549
    Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    I find it passing strange that people like Sherrod Brown and Amy Klobuchar represent the far right of the field. Would Bill Clinton even be considered within the realm of possibility today?

    Has the country at large shifted to the left as abruptly as the Democrats? Or are the chattering classes just believing their own propaganda?
    Since Clinton we have had both generational and demographic change. That is why the Defense of Marriage Act he signed is no longer in effect.

  9. #219
    Senior Member JaneV2.0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    10,025
    Who would have believed ten years ago we would have universal same sex marriage and widespread legalized cannabis? Single payer health care has a larger constituency than either--reports say 70-78%.

  10. #220
    Senior Member iris lilies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    13,718
    Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Who would have believed ten years ago we would have universal same sex marriage and widespread legalized cannabis? Single payer health care has a larger constituency than either--reports say 70-78%.
    Isn’t it grand? Free everything for everyone!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •