Page 67 of 165 FirstFirst ... 1757656667686977117 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Presidential Candidates

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Failed in what sense? In the ability to win offices and exercise power? In the ability to frustrate the plans of it’s opposition? In the capacity of benchmark bogeyman for political fantasy?

I think if I could replace the Republican Party in it’s current form, I would make it more classical liberal and less populist-nationalist; but I would probably still welcome anyone willing to resist the idea that the “arc of history” required aggrandizing the state over the individual.
    Failed in the sense that it is now the party of trump. That it would pick such an unqualified and corrupt individual as its leader. And then use all its power to shield him from accountability. What came before is dead. After trump is gone the party isn't going back to what it was. The racists among republican voters won't support that. They don't give a crap about individual power over the state. They are perfectly happy with using the state's power to maintain white supremacy and won't support any politician who disagrees with them. And there are too many of them for republicans to be viable otherwise.

I see that Eliz Warren tweeted out the falsehood about Michael Brown’s “ murder” here in St Louis. Kamela Harris cranked out the same. I dont pay attention normally to their yapping, but these proclamations are false. When even CNN calls them on the carpet, you know they are lying. Or ill informed. Or stirring the pot....politicking as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I see that Eliz Warren tweeted out the falsehood about Michael Brown’s “ murder” here in St Louis. Kamela Harris cranked out the same. I dont pay attention normally to their yapping, but these proclamations are false. When even CNN calls them on the carpet, you know they are lying. Or ill informed. Or stirring the pot....politicking as usual.
    It's been my strictly non-scientific yet seemingly obvious observation that Democratic politics revolves around victims and victimization. It's necessary to convince every potential voter that they are a victim of something bigger than them, and those who do not feel particularly victimized have been conditioned to think of themselves and others like them as victimizers who must pay for their sins by apologizing for their transgressions, real and imagined. Keeping the cycle churning requires a fair amount of misrepresentation and outright lying.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Since Bob Mueller refused to play ball on the Russia thing, we seem to be returning to the America-is-a-racist-nightmare thing. I guess it will have to do if the next recession doesn’t begin in time to help.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Since Bob Mueller refused to play ball on the Russia thing, we seem to be returning to the America-is-a-racist-nightmare thing. I guess it will have to do if the next recession doesn’t begin in time to help.
    I think you're right. I like to keep up with Democratic talking points by checking in with MSNBC each morning. Today they're talking up both racism and recession in a hopeful manner.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

It's necessary to convince every potential voter that they are a victim of something bigger than them, and those who do not feel particularly victimized have been conditioned to think of themselves and others like them as victimizers who must pay for their sins by apologizing for their transgressions, real and imagined.
    The party of Trump has adopted these methods. Immigrants are stealing YOUR jobs, someone else is getting something for free that YOU aren't, being shamed for using talk that was tolerated 50 years ago (because the underdogs really couldn't speak up)... Trump really tapped into people wanting to feel like victims.

Quote Originally Posted by herbgeek View Post
    The party of Trump has adopted these methods. Immigrants are stealing YOUR jobs, someone else is getting something for free that YOU aren't, being shamed for using talk that was tolerated 50 years ago (because the underdogs really couldn't speak up)... Trump really tapped into people wanting to feel like victims.
    I have not noticed the conservatives here feel like victims. Just the opposite. But maybe we are the “good” conservatives, the good Negroes if you will. The strong Trump supporters I know are happy with the economy and consider it Winning.

Quote Originally Posted by herbgeek View Post
    I agree. Trump’s descent into identify politics is every bit as objectionable as his opposition’s.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    It's been my strictly non-scientific yet seemingly obvious observation that Democratic politics revolves around victims and victimization. It's necessary to convince every potential voter that they are a victim of something bigger than them, and those who do not feel particularly victimized have been conditioned to think of themselves and others like them as victimizers who must pay for their sins by apologizing for their transgressions, real and imagined. Keeping the cycle churning requires a fair amount of misrepresentation and outright lying.
    Were the orchestrators of the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising victims? Or were they activists for justice and freedom? Were the original civil rights leaders victims or activists for justice and freedom? Were Betty Friedan and Gloria Steinem victims or activists for justice and freedom? Were the organizers of MADD victims or activists for justice and freedom?

One can be a passive victim, or take action. Taking power back by political means is strength, not weakness. I am so grateful for the "victims" of ethnic, racial, and gender bias. I am grateful for the "victims" of lawlessness who rise up and change business-as-usual of the powerful who have vested interest in maintaining the status quo.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    One can be a passive victim, or take action. Taking power back by political means is strength, not weakness. I am so grateful for the "victims" of ethnic, racial, and gender bias.
    I agree it's good to fight against the injustice that race/gender/religion/sex based political ideologies engender, and it's time for the party which promotes those divisions to give it up.

Thread Information