Page 108 of 165 FirstFirst ... 85898106107108109110118158 ... LastLast
Results 1,071 to 1,080 of 1641

Thread: 2020 Presidential Candidates

For 15 years I lived across the street from an empty Salvation Army building. The grass was always cut, the building problems were promptly attended to when we called about street people moving in and etc. Granted, they didn’t paint the trim and it started to look bad before they sold it, but all in all they were decent absentee owners.

Somewhere in that time an energetic young pastor started outdoor services every Sunday during nice weather. He probably had a sum total of 10 people show up. He tried valiantly to build a congregation, but no luck. He did hold services for few months and I found it hilarious that my extremely progressive and tolerant neighborhood was not at all tolerant about Christian goings-on’s. They were so concerned that someone might be offended! They earnestly queried me and DH about how bothered were were by this display of (horrors!) Christian ferver.

This was long about the same time I was seeing the light politically, as referenced in another thread. A light bulb was going off in my head.

I was usually out working in my garden during the services because it’s the only time I had to work in the Garden, the weekend. I do remember once changing clothes to put on a longer pair of shorts because the pair I was working in were pretty short and kind of awful and really not appropriate for church!

For anyone who wondered what happened to the property, the Salvation Army sold it to a developer who sat on it and let it go downhill. That developer sold it to another developer who let it go downhill and then he Razzed the building which is fine since it was a modern building. And then yet a third developer came by to build high-end houses and we are very happy about that.

In renovating our house DH would often go to the Salvation Army Center downtown and pick up a day laborer to help him with this and that. He probably did that 6-7 times.

I see serial fabulist Joe B is on a "No Malarkey" tour of Iowa. To me, that displays either an unprecedented level of self-unawareness or the boldest Chutzpah since "I am not a crook".

Why did he choose "Malarkey" over "Horsefeathers" or "Balderdash" ? Was his research of Iowan attitudes limited to a viewing of "The Music Man"?

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    I see serial fabulist Joe B is on a "No Malarkey" tour of Iowa. To me, that displays either an unprecedented level of self-unawareness or the boldest Chutzpah since "I am not a crook".

Why did he choose "Malarkey" over "Horsefeathers" or "Balderdash" ? Was his research of Iowan attitudes limited to a viewing of "The Music Man"?
    For more general hilarity, check out #lookfat on twitter.

I believe the Salvation Army throws less of their item donations away that some like the Goodwill, but I have never seen the thrifts compared conclusively. But that has to be an important consideration when donating items. I don't donate money to any of them, ok sometimes the extra penny round up if shopping at the Goodwill, sue me.
    Trees don't grow on money

Is the pack looking to tear Mayor Pete down? Now I’m hearing demands he violate his NDA with McKinsey & Co and confess his capitalist sins.

I fully expect to see published photos of him lunching at Chik-fil-a with Mark Zuckerberg, sipping Big Gulps through plastic straws they bought at Hobby Lobby.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Is the pack looking to tear Mayor Pete down? Now I’m hearing demands he violate his NDA with McKinsey & Co and confess his capitalist sins.
    Well, the last couple weeks, CNN and MSNBC kept banging the "Mayor Pete has 0% support in the black community, and the black community is the base of the Democratic Party, so he should give up" drum.

Yppej
    Cory Booker is whining about race. He says there are more billionaires than black people in the race. He is failing first grade math. There are two billionaires, Steyer and Bloomberg, and two blacks, Booker and Patrick. 2 = 2, 2 is not greater than 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Cory Booker is whining about race. He says there are more billionaires than black people in the race. He is failing first grade math. There are two billionaires, Steyer and Bloomberg, and two blacks, Booker and Patrick. 2 = 2, 2 is not greater than 2.
    Political mathematics is really more art than science. You can round to the nearest sound bite, as Senator Booker does here. You can apply the commutative hyperbole principle, as when President Trump estimates the size or importance of things he likes. Conversely, you can apply the sufficient minutiae theorem the way Senator Warren did in claiming her DNA proved Harvard correct in advertising her as a groundbreaking person of color. Under the method of rule substitution, Senator Clinton triumphed in the 2016 election. In Sanders subset theory, millionaires and billionaires must be assigned different moral categories based on the net worth of the observer. Recent Republican congresses have demonstrated the law of elasticity of urgency in judicial confirmations.

Yppej
    Today I heard Joe Biden speak. This was the biggest campaign event I have been to yet, but it was very old school. There were lots of staffers around with clipboards asking people to sign in. Warren, Castro and Booker all had people sign in via text. I had signed up online in advance, but that did not guarantee me a seat. Everyone had to wait outdoors for a half hour or so, first come first served in a line that snaked a few blocks. We were only let in a few at a time, but not because there was any rhyme or reason to the seating. There were empty skipped seats but people were directed to the stage or balconies. Several of us turned down Biden stickers, only to be told we could not get in without them and had to take them. That was a lie.

The audience was the whitest of the 11 events I have been to, so I am surprised that Biden is seen as a candidate for minorities. He had all the politically correct speech down, including that slavery is the "original sin" in America, yet opposed reparations. He said government must help the middle class but it was unclear how since he said like his father he "doesn't want a handout."

Biden was generally vague and used lots of anecdotes. He took a half dozen or so questions and droned on and on in his replies. There was a large press corps there and I imagined they must he so bored following him around and hearing the same thing all the time. I had a good question prepared that would have shaken things up but I was not called on. People asked things already covered on the news, like who he would pick as vice president. This led to long anecdotes about when he was selected as vice president as well as identity politics pandering, talking about how he has many females and African-Americans in mind. My bet is Stacey Abrams so he can be doubly politically correct.

One man held a sign about climate change. Biden kept looking at him. Finally he told him, "Ask me about climate change. I want a question on that." He then claimed credit for the Paris climate accords and said he would reinstate them with some sort of indexing to changes in scientific assessments. Hey Joe, how about not killing trees by pushing unwanted campaign stickers on people?

He kept saying, "For real" and "no joke" again and again. I wouldn't want to be stuck listening to him for four years, one hour was more than enough for me.

Thanks, Yppej, I really appreciate these reports from the field!

Thread Information