Page 49 of 165 FirstFirst ... 3947484950515999149 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Presidential Candidates

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I believe there's several chapters in a Dale Carnegie book relating to this.
    Not relevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Using the same process and criteria as every other elected President since 1804.
    Since the purpose of the electoral college was rendered irrelevant by the civil war the union should have included abolishment of it as part of reconstruction.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Define “keep informed. “
    Search forum... discussed previously.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Since the purpose of the electoral college was rendered irrelevant by the civil war the union should have included abolishment of it as part of reconstruction.
    And then we could let Congress elect our President.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Or we could actually follow the will of the people. Clearly this ‘thwarting the will of the people’ method we currently use didnt prevent us from selecting a lying cheater who loves russia more than the US so we might as well use popular vote.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Or we could actually follow the will of the people.
    You'd still be following the will of the people through their selection of Congress Critters. The Electoral College provides one vote per elected Congressional Representative now, it's just that the states have a little leeway in whether they are directly apportioned or winner takes all, etc.

I've heard some folks say that if we abolished the Electoral College and elected our President by popular vote, candidates would be forced to campaign in every locality, but I don't see that happening. Why would a Democrat campaign in California? Would you guys vote Republican otherwise?
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I am definitely for letting the popular vote decide. Republicans don’t want it because they have won elections they really lost.

I have a question for the Republicans on the Forum. ( I am an Independent, or "Unenrolled" as they now call us in MA, but I definitely lean Democrat these days). I don't think we necessarily have many strong Trump supporters here, although I could be wrong. In the next election, are you hoping for a Trump victory, or for a Democrat who is not an extreme liberal? I'm genuinely curious.
    In real life, I have Republican friends who are strongly pro-Trump, and others who like him about as much as most Democrats do.

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    In the next election, are you hoping for a Trump victory, or for a Democrat who is not an extreme liberal? I'm genuinely curious.
    I'm not a fan of our current President, but I'm also not a fan of the race/sex/gender/class divisive/populist governance priorities of the Democrats. I could easily pull the protest lever for a Joe Lieberman or John Glenn style Democrat but they've been effectively banned from the party. You guys can't provide an alternative for a principled Republican, so what choice do we have?

Good excuse Alan to vote for trump.

Thread Information