Page 66 of 165 FirstFirst ... 1656646566676876116 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Presidential Candidates

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    So they have nothing more definite than “what we think is right”? Who gets to speak for we? Sounds like your cartoonish Republican straw man may be right to paint with an equally broad brush.
    At the end of the day the voters will get to decide if they agree with what the democratic candidates think is the right thing to do and they will either get elected or not. Who knows, maybe you're right and kiddie koncentration kamps, tax cuts for rich people, and less people with health insurance is actually what the voters think is right. And if so we'll have four more years of that.

Like the Republicans who shout "Fiscal conservatism" until they're hoarse when Democrats are in office, then spend like they've just discovered gold when they are. Hypocrites in all ways.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Like the Republicans who shout "Fiscal conservatism" until they're hoarse when Democrats are in office, then spend like they've just discovered gold when they are. Hypocrites in all ways.
    I do not approve of Republicans spending money as if they were Democrats.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I do not approve of Republicans spending money as if they were Democrats.
    I quite agree.

I am, however, agnostic on the subject of paper straws.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    At the end of the day the voters will get to decide if they agree with what the democratic candidates think is the right thing to do and they will either get elected or not. Who knows, maybe you're right and kiddie koncentration kamps, tax cuts for rich people, and less people with health insurance is actually what the voters think is right. And if so we'll have four more years of that.
    It will if the Democrats come up with even scarier and more ridiculous proposals. Open borders, higher taxes and outlawing private health insurance all seem like steps in that direction.

At the end of the day the democrats have been trying republican-lite ever since bill clinton became president and it really hasn't worked. It didn't inspire republicans to vote for us and it didn't inspire democrats to get to the polls to vote for us either.

I get it, you're looking for a replacement for your failed party. But hoping the democrats will become it just isn't going to happen.

Yppej
    I heard Andrew Yang speak tonight. His crowd was overwhelmingly young, predominantly male, and very enthusiastic. He is definitely an economic populist, yet has strong techie support. I could see him appealing to voters of all educational backgrounds. He was articulate but I do not agree with him on everything.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    At the end of the day the democrats have been trying republican-lite ever since bill clinton became president and it really hasn't worked. It didn't inspire republicans to vote for us and it didn't inspire democrats to get to the polls to vote for us either.

I get it, you're looking for a replacement for your failed party. But hoping the democrats will become it just isn't going to happen.
    Failed in what sense? In the ability to win offices and exercise power? In the ability to frustrate the plans of it’s opposition? In the capacity of benchmark bogeyman for political fantasy?

I think if I could replace the Republican Party in it’s current form, I would make it more classical liberal and less populist-nationalist; but I would probably still welcome anyone willing to resist the idea that the “arc of history” required aggrandizing the state over the individual.

Yppej
    I heard Julian Castro speak today. He is the fifth candidate whose campaign event I have been to, and the only one where I came away with a negative opinion. He was dishonest about his record, overly general, and insufficiently humble.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    I heard Julian Castro speak today. He is the fifth candidate whose campaign event I have been to, and the only one where I came away with a negative opinion. He was dishonest about his record, overly general, and insufficiently humble.
    Thank you for reporting on these events. I really appreciate hearing from someone who has actually seen the person in person.

Thread Information