Page 133 of 165 FirstFirst ... 3383123131132133134135143 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,330 of 1641

Thread: 2020 Presidential Candidates

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    I agree. Now the choice is between a candidate who supports the ACA and a candidate actively trying to eliminate the ACA and a protest vote that will have no impact on the election. Those are the choices.

Imagine a no ACA, no better replacement, post covid world. Millions of people denied coverage for having the pre-existing condition of prior covid infection.
    If everyone I knew who could afford ACA coverage actually had insurance, I might agree with you. I personally think the pre-existing condition insurance is an obvious selling point of the ACA if not THE major selling point. But JP. Too many people just want the government to pay for everything. I’ve related my stories over the years I’ll people in my immediate circle, and now there’s three of them, who bitch and moan about the ACA. I’m done.

It’s not good enough, it will never be good enough, the subsidies will never be big enough, the government will never be able to provide enough.

Going along with that, my Swiss relatives bitch and moan about their poor coverage compared to the Germans.

I had a hard time finding a doctor who would take it when using an ACA equivalent plan. So no that heap of flaming garbage isn't good enough.

I don't even know why I was chronically sick then (ha no it wasn't covid) because even when I got to doctors (some out of pocket) they didn't know, and it wasn't even fibromyalgia or some known unknown, it was the unknown unknown, except it eventually went away after a year. It could well have been some strange response to stress. I STRONGLY suspect it was working at an ex-toxic waste site (since the appearance and disappearance just about perfectly corresponds to that time - by hey correlation is not causation). My fault and all or something, I should have eaten more broccoli
    Trees don't grow on money

I L, are you saying that you have friends that can afford ACA insurance and are going without it instead?

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I L, are you saying that you have friends that can afford ACA insurance and are going without it instead?
    Of course!

I saw a study recently that found 45% of American adults were uninsured or under-insured as of 2018. That number hadn't significantly changed since 2016 which I believe we can safely call the Pre-Trump era. I think there may be elements of choice involved in that.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I don’t know anyone doing that. I hate that our insurance takes a fourth of our gross income but no way would I ever go without insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I saw a study recently that found 45% of American adults were uninsured or under-insured as of 2018. That number hadn't significantly changed since 2016 which I believe we can safely call the Pre-Trump era. I think there may be elements of choice involved in that.
    You are indeed correct. Trump and the republicans have so far failed to kill the ACA. But like a bad horror film the zombies keep trying. Most recently a few weeks ago at the supreme court. Perhaps this time they will succeed. Just in time to run for reelection on a campaign of "we're taking away your healthcare protections during a pandemic! Vote for us!"

My sister-in-law works 2 part-time jobs. Neither provides insurance. And she cannot afford to buy it. She has rent, a car payment, gas, food and basic necessities covered. No mas.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Quote Originally Posted by KayLR View Post
    My sister-in-law works 2 part-time jobs. Neither provides insurance. And she cannot afford to buy it. She has rent, a car payment, gas, food and basic necessities covered. No mas.
    One year our income was around $30,000, and our health insurance was Nearly fully subsidized through the ACA, if I remember correctly.

What is your Sister-in-law’s income?

I know working adults who do not have health insurance. But they have paid for motorcycle and luxury automobile.

I know people who do not have health insurance but they own multiple rental properties, free and clear.

There are people on this website, and I’m not going to name names, who said they can’t afford it. But they have similar assets to those I’ve named above and income streams.

The refrain “ I can’t afford it” Is what I am skeptical about. Especially since the whole premise of the ACA was that we were all supposed to pool together so that our premiums would cover the sickest among us. It really is not a very sharing system if people don’t do their fair share, is it?

I have another friend who I’ve talked about here before who has had easily $1 million worth of billable health care. She has no health insurance. After many years of cancer treatments, cancer treatments, and more cancer treatments, she was hit by a car as a pedestrian. That was expensive. And then she had back to back surgeries for gallbladder, appendicitis, and major dental work. Oral surgery. She is now diabetic due to all of the previous medications.

But she doesn’t have insurance For the reason that she doesn’t want it. She negotiates these costs down and pays them. She does have significant family resources, but the way she lives is super super simple. If she doesn’t mind me “I can’t afford it. “

Middle class Americans should be able to pay for their own health care--not insurance, care. Medications and all. Our system is not broken--it's rigged to provide maximum profit to a small, greedy segment of society. I'm thankful I've aged out of the gold-plated insurance racket.

Thread Information