Page 130 of 165 FirstFirst ... 3080120128129130131132140 ... LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,300 of 1641

Thread: 2020 Presidential Candidates

While I will not clutch my pearls at the impending downfall of our country if Joe Biden end up in the White House, I absolutely believe the Dow and accompanying institutions, businesses, and etc. will plunge. The business environment will be less friendly for business. That will take a toll.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    I confess to not being much of a Biden fan, but I'm curious what policy or issues do you think Biden would perform so poorly? I suppose quite a few of his intention have become evident in the debates and news. I basically just don't like his personality.
    I'm not the one that thinks biden will perform especially poorly. I'll leave it to others to explain how biden will be equally awful as a president who lies perpetually, doesn't believe in the rule of law and most certainly has never read the constitution, barely acknowledges the existence of a pandemic much less listens to experts on how best to respond to it, extorts foreign allies by witholding duly appropriated military aid for personal electoral gain, ignores it when Russia pays bounties for dead American soldiers, treats immigrants like animals, locking children in cages without adult care or basic necessities like toothbrushes, sucks up as much taxpayer money for personal benefit as it possible, has corrupted the function of the DOJ to become his personal law firm and attack dog and only hires the stupidest and most corrupt a$$holes to run everything.

But sure, some people don't like trump at all but think Biden will be just as bad. I'll let them explain how.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    I'm not the one that thinks biden will perform especially poorly. I'll leave it to others to explain how biden will be equally awful as a president who lies perpetually, doesn't believe in the rule of law and most certainly has never read the constitution, barely acknowledges the existence of a pandemic much less listens to experts on how best to respond to it, extorts foreign allies by witholding duly appropriated military aid for personal electoral gain, ignores it when Russia pays bounties for dead American soldiers, treats immigrants like animals, locking children in cages without adult care or basic necessities like toothbrushes, sucks up as much taxpayer money for personal benefit as it possible, has corrupted the function of the DOJ to become his personal law firm and attack dog and only hires the stupidest and most corrupt a$$holes to run everything.

But sure, some people don't like trump at all but think Biden will be just as bad. I'll let them explain how.
    No one could be as bad as trump. The above shows why he should be gone. Economy (he came along when it was on the upswing anyways) should not be the reason to vote for him. As others I know only will vote for him because of the abortion issue. Moronic.

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    I used to think that way, but have recently come to the conclusion that it may be short-sighted. If I want a particular governing philosophy to be advanced in the long term, I believe I should vote for the candidates who reflect it most closely, even if their chances in the immediate future are low. Otherwise the ultimate result is the ghastly regression to the political mean we see right now with the two dominant party candidates.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    I used to think that way, but have recently come to the conclusion that it may be short-sighted. If I want a particular governing philosophy to be advanced in the long term, I believe I should vote for the candidates who reflect it most closely, even if their chances in the immediate future are low. Otherwise the ultimate result is the ghastly regression to the political mean we see right now with the two dominant party candidates.
    In my opinion, I do believe that this will lead to Trump gaining another victory, during which he will do his best to follow in his friend Putin's footsteps to become "President for Life" (or at least extended beyond the current limits). Now lots of folks will pooh-pooh that ever happening, but Trump actually BECOMING President was also pooh-poohed.

So, yes, you may see the demise of the two dominant party candidates, but I think it will be because Trump obtains his long-desired dictatorial position.

And, again, to some this sounds very far-fetched, but so did Trump becoming President in the first place.

Edited to add: Only time will prove me wrong and I REALLY hope it does!!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

HappyStuff, I will only point out that it might be confirmation bias that led you to think Trump would not enter the White House. You didn't want him to, the sources you read didn't want him to, your circle of friends talked about that impossibility, etc so you heard what you wanted to hear.

I am reminded of Bernie Goldberg, a former news producer for CBS who recounted in his book about the George
    Bush elections. In his little circle of liberal elite Eastern seaboard journalists, no one could comprehend Why anyone would vote for Bush, so it was assumed among those elites that it wouldnt happen. They were shocked both times.

I guess we saw the same phenomena with Hilary.

Me, I have no doubt that if Trump is defeated he will make noise and twitter flutters about a rigged election, he aint going anywhere, etc all the while, Melania will have been packing to get the hell out of Dodge. And they will be gone.

What The Donald tweets and what The Donald does is often at odds.

It's easy to think nothing could be worse than Trump in the emotion of the moment. And it actually is quite possible nothing could be worse than him because he not only has bad policies (which we are more than used to) but is also astoundingly incompetent and personality disordered. Most leaders may do their fair share of damage to many of the non-rich people of this country, but don't view in their interest to destroy the country entirely. While much of the rest of the world may not mind if the U.S. goes down, we have to live here, so even if we live in the maids quarters, burning down the house while we are living in it really sucks. That's the Trump administration.

But on Biden and policy. He has called for Social Security cuts on 3 separate occasions. Noone can afford this, the people in this country can't take any more cuts to it's threadbare safety net, we are going to have old people in the streets soon if this continues. So the present with Trump is incredibly bleak and the future with Biden might be bleak too. I mean you can deprive people of everything by straight out killing them en masse via a pandemic, which is not an option most of the powers that be would even choose frankly - it's all on Trump, and you can deprive people of everything by a non-ending stream of policies stacked against them too, which we have under Trump as well, but which we might have under Biden too.

But thinking one is contributing to the furthering of anything by voting 3rd party is pretty silly. It's a protest vote period. I live in a solid state so it's without any consequences to protest vote, but that's ALL it is, it's just saying "I don't like these choices". It's not contributing to anything. 3rd parties can't even win down ticket races, trust me they aren't going to be Prez.

As for economic destruction, you REALLY you can't beat Trump on that. Nothing is destroying more businesses than the current pandemic AND the economic handling of it. That's why I say as bad as our rulers tend to be, most of them don't want the wholesale destruction of the country, but Trump OTOH .... Everyone probably knows business that have closed locally from it and more to come. More people are going to be driven to eviction and homelessness soon. Businesses being closed is on the ground reality, go take a nice safe social distancing walk or drive, and you can see it. If the stock and bond etc. markets are doing ok it is because they are receiving a non-ending stream of government money and so don't reflect reality in the slightest. Problem is plenty of people live in the reality on the ground of businesses closing, people being evicted etc. etc.. Most countries are acting to preserve their actual economies in this pandemic and will, the U.S. just transfers funny money to the markets via the Fed until it no longer represents anything real. I mean it's like while other countries tend to reality, we've decided to no longer even bother with having an actual economy, but to all get high on our own supply, like an addict who doesn't even notice their actual life is in shambles.
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    HappyStuff, I will only point out that it might be confirmation bias that led you to think Trump would not enter the White House. You didn't want him to, the sources you read didn't want him to, your circle of friends talked about that impossibility, etc so you heard what you wanted to hear.
    Absolutely! I definitely have a bias, and a fear, and a dread, and a hope - everyone does. Hence, why I always try to use the words "in my opinion".
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

"Most countries are acting to preserve their actual economies in this pandemic and will, the U.S. just transfers funny money to the markets via the Fed until it no longer represents anything real. I mean it's like while other countries tend to reality, we've decided to no longer even bother with having an actual economy, but to all get high on our own supply, like an addict who doesn't even notice their actual life is in shambles."

The whole post was excellent, but this part seems to me particularly so. The pandemic response here has been so inept and chaotic, it almost seems deliberate. Talk about watching a slow motion train wreck.

I was under the impression that the funny money approach was fairly popular internationally. What are other countries doing differently?

Thread Information