Page 39 of 165 FirstFirst ... 2937383940414989139 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Presidential Candidates

The Fox News telephone poll of 1,008 registered voters nationwide conducted between May 11 - 14 asking about potential 2020 contests versus President Trump.

In the Biden-Trump hypothetical matchup, Biden wins with 49% to 38% for Trump.

Biden's 11-point lead is greater than the 3-point margin of error in the poll.

The only other Democratic contender that led Trump by over 3 points in the poll was Bernie Sanders by 5 points.

Under the circumstances I believe the internet smears of Joe Biden will be intense for the foreseeable future.

It's early yet. I don't expect Biden to fare well in the debates, but as we saw in the last election debacle, debates don't matter.

Yppej
    I attended an Elizabeth Warren house party today. She came across as more centrist than I expected.

I like Harris, Buttigieg, and Bennett so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    I attended an Elizabeth Warren house party today. She came across as more centrist than I expected.
    Interesting. What did she talk about?

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Interesting. What did she talk about?
    She started with she has three brothers who served in the military, with no hint of criticism of the military-industrial complex, and circled back to them several times. Two of them are Republicans and she talked about their shared values including cleaning up corruption in Washington (think Drain the Swamp though she did not use that term). She talked about picking and choosing your battles. A Black Lives Matter activist tried to get her to commit to cutting minority incarceration rates in half but she would not, instead saying marijuana should be decriminalized and more funding put in place for public defenders so their caseloads can be reduced.

She is a former elementary school teacher (fired because she got pregnant, legal at the time, at which point she went to law school) and wants universal pre-K so I was surprised to see Julian Castro claim this on NBC News as his supposedly unique big idea. She would fund this and other programs with a 2% tax on income in excess of $50 million per year.

She said she is willing to shame corrupt officials of both parties to try to get reforms through including a lifetime ban on anyone who has served in government being a lobbyist.

As with her announcement speech there was no mention of foreign policy.

Universal pre-K, huh? Something about that bothers me. Isn't 5 years old early enough to make the state the primary care giver and educator of a kid?

When I was a kid most started kindergarten at age 5. My mom waited until 6 to put me in because she did not want me to be institutionalized and given a routine until the last moment. I am glad for this.

Now they want to start kids in school at, what, age 3?

Parents: Raise your own dang kids!

Well she's hawkish and former Republican. I don't necessarily expect her to govern as a Republican, but of course she would talk about shared values. Everyone picks and chooses their battles, that is common sense as a politician.

If she's too centrist for you -> feel the Bern! I like Bernie. I like Jay Inslee's comprehensive GND plans A LOT. I don't like Warren that much, but don't think she'd be terrible, far from the worst we could do (ok the worst we could do is already in office, but even among Dems).
    Trees don't grow on money

Yppej
    I do feel the Bern, but he is getting up there in years and if he develops serious medical issues I think I should have a backup candidate. I would like to hear more candidates in person.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    Universal pre-K, huh? Something about that bothers me. Isn't 5 years old early enough to make the state the primary care giver and educator of a kid?

When I was a kid most started kindergarten at age 5. My mom waited until 6 to put me in because she did not want me to be institutionalized and given a routine until the last moment. I am glad for this.

Now they want to start kids in school at, what, age 3?

Parents: Raise your own dang kids!
    A lot about that bothers me, not the least being E.Warren is operating at the federal level and the last thing we need is the feds mandating more stuff that was formerly the realm of local government.

We have optional public school for 3 year olds here in my city. Not many parents take advantage of it. It is optional. It is a choice. Long live choice.keep the damn geds put of it.

Thread Information