Page 38 of 165 FirstFirst ... 2836373839404888138 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Presidential Candidates

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I am just amazed. I'm thinking of running. What the heck?

The more the Dems slice and dice their hopes to beat Trump into a thousand pieces, the more likely that all the DNCs horses and all the DNCs men will never be able to put Humpty Dumpty together again.
    When a dozen Republicans were running they called it a clown car. With more than twice as many Democrats it’s an embarrassment of riches. I agree with the embarrassment part. Pity poor Iowa.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    ...Pity poor Iowa.
    Nah, Iowans will make this work for them. Instead of the usual number of candidates milling around your block if you live within 2 miles of interstate 80, they will be cleaning up the parks and polishing your car and walking your dog to get votes.

I look forward to my brother’s colorful commentary from the trenches of interstate 80. He is a never Trumper Republican.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    When a dozen Republicans were running they called it a clown car. With more than twice as many Democrats it’s an embarrassment of riches. I agree with the embarrassment part. Pity poor Iowa.
    I would definitely agree that it's turning into a clown car. There are several candidates that I like and would be comfortable voting for if the primary were today. A few more that I will definitely not vote for in the primary, and several that I just don't know enough about to have a comment on one way or the other. It's certainly going to be an interesting 9 months before the first votes/caucuses happen.

One thing that I AM concerned about is that some decent candidates are forgoing the possibility of challenging incumbent republican senators by running for president instead. It won't matter that we've won the presidency, if we do, if we don't also take back the senate. But no one ever said democracy wasn't messy, so I guess there isn't really much choice to do things differently unless we go back to the days of people in smoke filled rooms making decisions for the party. And if 2016 is any guide, I don't think the democrats will be resorting to that this time around. Or at least not this early in the game. Whether they can resist the urge for the next 18 months is anyone's guess...

Last election didn’t the Republicans start out with 17 candidates?

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    I would definitely agree that it's turning into a clown car. There are several candidates that I like and would be comfortable voting for if the primary were today. A few more that I will definitely not vote for in the primary, and several that I just don't know enough about to have a comment on one way or the other. It's certainly going to be an interesting 9 months before the first votes/caucuses happen.

One thing that I AM concerned about is that some decent candidates are forgoing the possibility of challenging incumbent republican senators by running for president instead. It won't matter that we've won the presidency, if we do, if we don't also take back the senate. But no one ever said democracy wasn't messy, so I guess there isn't really much choice to do things differently unless we go back to the days of people in smoke filled rooms making decisions for the party. And if 2016 is any guide, I don't think the democrats will be resorting to that this time around. Or at least not this early in the game. Whether they can resist the urge for the next 18 months is anyone's guess...
    What’s better for a political party: deal making by party potentates aimed at selecting the most electable candidate, or leaving the decision to the more extreme elements of the party or groups with little or no party affiliation at all who turn out in disproportionate numbers for open primaries? Have we seen a better quality of candidates since 1970 or so?

Are half or more of the current crop of candidates truly running for President, or just cabinet posts, book deals or simple vanity?

As George W Bush once said ‘this job would be a whole lot easier if i was a dictator’. Or something to that effect. If left up to our more ‘wise’ party elders we’d undoubtedly end up with an old white guy, since that’s what electable means. Neither obama nor trump were considered electable at this stage of the game 4 and 12 tears ago, so i don’t put much stock in electable.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    …i don’t put much stock in electable.
    I hope the majority of Democrats share that view.

There was a recent article in National Review that raised the concern that Trump has driven the Democrats sane (https://www.nationalreview.com/2019/...ers-pragmatic/).

Polls say many of the potential Democratic candidates could beat Trump at this point--but again, don't rule out dirty tricks.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Last election didn’t the Republicans start out with 17 candidates?
    Yes. https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...-donald-trump/

Thanks G glad my memory still on it!

Thread Information