Page 74 of 165 FirstFirst ... 2464727374757684124 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Presidential Candidates

Yppej
    Moulton turned out to be the next dropout.

I heard Buttigieg today at the largest and best organized campaign event I have been to yet. They pumped money into the local economy, hiring school bus drivers to shuttle people to the venue, police details, and a local event planning company. The crowd was older than I expected and included the town Democratic Committee chair and state senator, previously a gubernatorial candidate.

There was only seating for the elderly or disabled, but there were four of the largest, cleanest portable toilets I have ever seen, a sign language interpreter, and lots of music including country. Buttigieg spoke to the needs of rural voters while also stating he is mentioning issues of race to all audiences (including this 99.9% white one). He is the first candidate I have heard say we must not just take on the trendy speaking points about the opioid epidemic but also assist those incarcerated and otherwise dealing with the legacy of the crack and previous heroin epidemics. He just rolled out a mental health and substance abuse plan so focused on this but also had one liners hitting the typical litany of Democratic issues. He is opposed to single payer and came across as more Establishment, as did his supporters, than I expected. There were lots of staffers there, and most not the college age volunteers I have seen at other events. Several arrived in huge, tinted window SUVs that looked like small limos. The campaign appears to have the financing to go the distance.

I see Joe Walsh will be running against Trump in the primaries. I would probably vote for him over the other two opponents. Sanford and Weld carry too much baggage.

Now that Trump is “hereby ordering” American corporations not to do business with China, I see little distance between him and the Democrats in the command economy way of thinking.

I didnt realize it was possible for a republican candidate to have too much baggage. Hiking the Appalachian trail seems almost quaint compared to trump.

Isn’t it extremely unusual for someone within the same party to run against the incumbent? This is good news.

I'm really impressed by most of the Democratic candidates; they seem to have their priorities straight and solid plans for getting those priorities accomplished. Their contrast with today's Republicans/Trumpists is stark.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I'm really impressed by most of the Democratic candidates; they seem to have their priorities straight and solid plans for getting those priorities accomplished.
    Really? I haven't heard anyone give an answer to how we pay for all their priorities, maybe I missed it.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Maybe you did.

Maybe I'm amazed at the way you help me sing my song,
    Right me when I'm wrong-
    Maybe I'm amazed at the way I really need you.
    Ooh-ooh-ooh-ooh-ooh-ooh.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    I didnt realize it was possible for a republican candidate to have too much baggage. Hiking the Appalachian trail seems almost quaint compared to trump.
    Republicans are fashioned from the same crooked timber as the rest of humanity.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Really? I haven't heard anyone give an answer to how we pay for all their priorities, maybe I missed it.
    They plan to send the bill to the dastardly rich. Whether there are enough of them for all the promised trillions might be reasonably questioned.

Thread Information