Page 55 of 165 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765105155 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Presidential Candidates

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Then I saw that he is celebrating the 4th with military tanks, so I'm back to rewriting that people think that Trump is a true patriot, but there's a fine line between patriotism and nationalism.
    I don't even think he's about nationalism. He's about strong-man-leaderism.

I hope his bone spurs don't cause him too much pain during the parade of tanks and military aircraft.

Maybe he will be too ill to attend). It appears that Pence got called back to Washington and rumors are swirling.

The New York Times 6/30/19 edition had a front page report on the fake Biden website created by Patrick Mauldin, 30 years old, of Austin, Texas. For about 3 months the website which mocks Biden received more unique visits than Biden's campaign website. Biden's campaign was aware of the disinformation site, which superficially resembled their own, but contained Biden's gaffs, slow-motion gifs of Biden touching women, etc.

In the fine print, the deception website states "this is a political parody built and paid for BY an American citizen FOR American citizens". But Mauldin kept his name off the site. Until the Times investigated, the Biden campaign did not know the identity of the creator of the site. They may have wondered, was it done by Russian trolls? Or supporters of another contender for the Democratic Party nomination?

The Times reports that Mauldin makes videos and other digital content for President Trump's re-election campaign. And together with his brother, Ryan, Patrick Mauldin runs Vici Media Group, a Republican consulting group in Austin TX.

Mauldin also created anonymous websites to mock Elizabeth Warren, Kamala Harris, and Bernie Saunders.

Meddling in U S elections by foreign actors is illegal. But trolling or disinformation by US persons is protected by the First Amendment. The right of free speech extends to people who want to be anonymous, or sign off with a pseudonym. (Take it from me, dado potato!)

Quoting a Democratic Party consultant, with websites like the faux Biden page, "essentially you (Mauldin?) are trying to sow chaos , and you're trying to basically do voter suppression... You (Mauldin?) want their (Democrat?) supporters to get sad, to get angry, to get turned off from their chosen candidate... The way voters tend to work: they don't turn off from a candidate and pick someone else; they turn off from a candidate and turn off politics."

As Mauldin told the Times reporter, the point of the gifs of Biden touching women, devoid of any context, is to be helpful to Democrats... "to help Democrats to see their candidates for who they are -- warts and all..."

Reading more about this bizarre Independence Day celebration it turns out that only republicans are getting tickets for it. So yet again, the trump administration is showing themselves to have no concern with breaking the law. If this is a communist party, I mean republican party, event, then the hatch act requires that the government not pay for it.

A person can't keep up--it's just too much.

Taxpayers are funding a campaign rally/military might show that has nothing whatsoever to do with Independence Day.

I will never again question how dictators come to power.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I don't even think he's about nationalism. He's about strong-man-leaderism.

I hope his bone spurs don't cause him too much pain during the parade of tanks and military aircraft.
    Yeah, and supposedly, he is robbing money from the National Parks to fund his "campaign rally." He would be better served to spend the money on homeless or needy Vets. He saw how France celebrated on Bastille Day and now he has to emulate. It reminds me of keeping up with the Joneses and trying to show the world what a big man he his. BLECH!

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    A person can't keep up--it's just too much.

Taxpayers are funding a campaign rally/military might show that has nothing whatsoever to do with Independence Day.

I will never again question how dictators come to power.
    I will never again question how dictators come to power.[/QUOTE] ..... Yes, people have blinders on.

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    Yeah, and supposedly, he is robbing money from the National Parks to fund his "campaign rally." He would be better served to spend the money on homeless or needy Vets. He saw how France celebrated on Bastille Day and now he has to emulate. It reminds me of keeping up with the Joneses and trying to show the world what a big man he his. BLECH!
    Yes--robbing money from National Parks. Nice touch.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Yes--robbing money from National Parks. Nice touch.
    Given my many seasons in the National Parks - mostly both the North Rim and the South Rim of the Grand Canyon - I really resent the robbing of money from the National Parks for an ego building unnecessary display. In a country where human life is not worth socialized medicine, there is no excuse for Trump's ridiculous parade. The nicest word I can come up with for this over the top display is that as a citizen of this country, it's very embarrassing......very embarrassing to have a President with such bizarre priorities. Rob

Yppej
    I heard Tulsi Gabbard today and got to shake her hand. It was a conventional speech until she got to the cost of war, when she really hit her stride and made points other candidates are not. For her it is not tax millionaires more but eliminate regime change wars to fund infrastructure and other domestic agenda items.

Thread Information