Page 90 of 165 FirstFirst ... 40808889909192100140 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Presidential Candidates

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I doubt taxes for the vast majority of the citizenry will increase much, if we re-institute progressive tax rates.
    Given all those new trillions in spending, it’s hard to believe there are enough billionaires available to make that happen.

Yppej
    There are not that many billionaires, but their wealth is extraordinary, with less than 1% of the population having the same wealth as the bottom 50%, if I recall the stats from the debate accurately. There are also wealthy companies not paying any taxes.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    There are not that many billionaires, but their wealth is extraordinary, with less than 1% of the population having the same wealth as the bottom 50%, if I recall the stats from the debate accurately. There are also wealthy companies not paying any taxes.
    Their wealth is not extraordinary enough to make implementing a huge growth in government spending painless for the middle class. If people want a Scandinavian style welfare state, they will need to pay Scandinavian style taxes. Sanders is honest enough to admit that. Warren doesn’t seem to be.

Nothing is free. Realistically we need to focus on HC. We can cut in other places to make that happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Nothing is free. Realistically we need to focus on HC. We can cut in other places to make that happen.
    Well, let's start by cutting the military budget in half.

Yppej
    For a while pent up demand for health care services people haven't been able to afford but need will offset the savings from eliminating insurance middlemen, but long term a single payer system will be more affordable with lower per capita costs and better outcomes. The current healthcare model is unsustainable.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    For a while pent up demand for health care services people haven't been able to afford but need will offset the savings from eliminating insurance middlemen, but long term a single payer system will be more affordable with lower per capita costs and better outcomes. The current healthcare model is unsustainable.
    Just explain it to the voters this way: We will outlaw private insurance and herd everyone into a single government system. Think of the Post Office without all that wasteful Fedex competition. This will allow us to save money by rationing some services and implementing price controls on others. We will also eliminate care our panel of experts considers unnecessary. Those of you who work will exchange higher taxes for whatever share of the premium you currently pay. But don’t worry, because you can trust us to make up the difference by taxing rich people. You won’t even notice the impact except in a good way. You may even be able to quit your job and devote your life to Expressionist Opera.

If the voters buy it, you’re in.

A serious question for anyone who knows, I believe most people require supplemental insurance to make up for the difference between real costs and medicare reimbursements. The supplemental insurance policies are issued by non-governmental businesses. Will they be allowed to operate under a Medicare for All scheme and if not will we be stuck with out-of-pocket expenses of 20% for our medical care and all of our prescriptions?
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Medicare would cover 100%.
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    A serious question for anyone who knows, I believe most people require supplemental insurance to make up for the difference between real costs and medicare reimbursements. The supplemental insurance policies are issued by non-governmental businesses. Will they be allowed to operate under a Medicare for All scheme and if not will we be stuck with out-of-pocket expenses of 20% for our medical care and all of our prescriptions?
    The insurance companies got their foot in the door in some unholy agreement with Obamacare, and now we have mandatory supplemental insurance. I fervently hope that arrangement goes away with any new plan. For-profit takeovers, in my opinion, are nearly always a mistake.

Thread Information