Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Big old dogs

I meant t to say we have NOT had to carry our large dogs for daily activities due to their illnesses.

I was wondering how you carried them IL). Due to dog rescue we had 4 old dogs at one point. That’s why I got s puppy and then recently took his sister who is 5. I have had enough death. Mandy is a Maltese and is 14. So far she is healthy and on no medication. I got my first dog as a adult 14 years ago and have been hooked ever since. I can’t be without one. I decided I am just putting my foot down and telling my husband now so he has a month to get used to the idea. We never seem to agree unless I let him wait too long or the dog has a stroke and it’s obvious.

So last night we went out to dinner and I brought it up. I told him that our closest friends think it’s time and they are all dog lovers. He wants to wait until before we go on vacation so scheduled it for 2/12 and hopefully he will still be able to walk. If not I will move the date u. Ugh!

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    So last night we went out to dinner and I brought it up. I told him that our closest friends think it’s time and they are all dog lovers. He wants to wait until before we go on vacation so scheduled it for 2/12 and hopefully he will still be able to walk. If not I will move the date u. Ugh!

Enjoy the time you have left with him, Terry. I'm so sorry.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Tea
    I'm so sorry to hear that your dog is not doing well.

I wonder, have you checked his claws, and carefully filed them down extra short? The most common cause of slipping and sliding in big old dogs (often mistaken for an arthritis symptom especially in dogs who do also have some arthritis) is that their claws are not being naturally worn down by as long of walks or as active of play time. Also, older dogs sometimes lack the balance and quick reflexes that allow a young dog to compensate for slightly overgrown claws. Ideally, when a dog is standing on a smooth surface, their claws should not quite touch the floor. If the claw touches it lifts the toe slightly, both interfering with good traction and throwing the whole paw and leg out of proper alignment (which in turn can exacerbate arthritis, just like a person with knee pain wearing bad shoes.) I'm sorry if this seems like pointing out the obvious, but since overgrown claws are much worse for bigger dogs I wasn't sure whether you would have thought of it, being more used to small dogs. I've had four large dogs myself who all lived past the age of fifteen, plus I dog-sit, so I have dealt with a lot of different mobility issues over the years. From your description it just made me think of the claw issue first thing.

Another, less common cause of slipping and sliding is dry skin on the paw pads. If they seem dry you can use coconut oil, hand balm, or Vaseline on them every few days to help him maintain the rubbery textured paw pads that dogs need for firm footing.

It's not that proper foot care will necessarily extend the life of a big dog, but it can sure help them get around more easily and make the time they have left more enjoyable for both them and you.

Thanks Tea for the advice. He’s had hip dysplaxia for the past 6 years. He’s on 2 different pain medications. For awhile CBD biscuits worked great but they quit working. He’s pacing a lot at night and also snapping at people if startled and that’s a concern with him being so big. My son had a bad habit of hitting him on his back end when he wouldn’t mind and we kept telling him that was a bad way to discipline. My son didn’t realize he had a double ear infection from swimming in a pond. When my son raised his arm Noki jumped up and bit a piece of his lip off. None of that was the dog’s fault but since he bit before and is getting snappy I am worried about my dog sitter getting bit. He even snapped at my husband when he went to pet him while he was laying in bed. All of this makes me think that his pain is not under control despite all the medications.

Tea
    Yeah, sadly the snapping does sound like it could be from pain. Either that or dementia causing personality changes. Sometimes the best you can do is just to spoil them with extra treats in their last few weeks of life. So sad to have to say goodbye to any pet, at any age.

In 2017 2 good friends of mine and 2 of our dogs died. Then 2018 a young healthy dog got a brain infection from the rabies vaccine and died. I am sick of death. One of our Maltese is 14 and very healthy at the moment. We are making sure he gets lots of car rides, short walks,etc. I always dread putting a dog to sleep but it would be much worse if someone got bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    In 2017 2 good friends of mine and 2 of our dogs died. Then 2018 a young healthy dog got a brain infection from the rabies vaccine and died. I am sick of death. One of our Maltese is 14 and very healthy at the moment. We are making sure he gets lots of car rides, short walks,etc. I always dread putting a dog to sleep but it would be much worse if someone got bit.
    Ugh, this makes me feel so bad for the times when Imthought my dogs were being bratty but later discovered they were ill.

The most recent time was with our 11 year old bulldog girl. She was SO CRANKY with our other dog while we were in our weekend house that I was exasperated with her and sent her home with DH. She had to ride on the floor of his truck and she didnt like that. Two days later we found she had a big abcess on her ear, poor baby! That was causing her ill temper. She came through that ok, only to die of a heart attack a few weeks later. Mother guilt.

Nothing like some mommy guilt to spoil a day. I keep telling myself I would feel worse if he bit someone.

Thread Information