Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Big old dogs

Big old dogs

We never had a big dog until we inherited my son’s big guy 6 years ago. He at 13 is 70 lbs but healthy except for mobility issues. Despite lots of medications he is slipping and sliding a lot and pacing at night. I am starting to think we need to let him go but husband doesn’t want to. Our little dogs usually get sick before we need to face this. Anyone with experience with this?

We had a black.lab. He also had mobility issues. The vet gave us meds, and they helped greatly. We were also told to keep him active - use it or lose it style. Even so, there were times we went too far and he'd be paralyzed. (The first time I found him like that I thought he was dead! Scary!)

Near the end, we would have to lift him to his feet so he could move from room to room or go outside. Once up, he could walk around. He died of liver failure. We didn't realize he wasn't eating until a few days had gone by, and when he was taken to the vet it was too far gone to be treatable.

Having gone through this decision process recently, I offer my sympathy and support.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

He gets a walk but can only go 4 blocks extremely slow. He is on 2 types of medication. He can still get up by himself but it’s hard for him.

I am sorry to hear this. I have 60+ lb dogs but they are not tall. So far, all of our bulldogs die of internal stuff, we have not had to carry them around or help them get up.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 1-14-19 at 2:58pm.

We carry our little dogs too. This guy is big. He lost 10 lbs this summer. Despite being on a ton of medications I still think he has pain. He is also snapping if startled and I am worried about someone getting bit. He is very sweet. We on going on a 11 day cruise the end of February and last year he got so depressed that he wouldn’t interact with my son who he adores. He just stared at the front door or hid in our bedroom. This year we are having a dog sitter. We have gotten so attached to the old guy and he is so good with the little ones.

It sounds like it would be cruelty not to let him go, poor old boy. I know that's a painful decision, but they often tell us when they're ready.

Oh Terry, that is so sad. We had a 14 year old Aussie who had what the vet called doggie MS and doggie Alzheimers. He had terrible mobility issues at the end. We kept him alive because my son was coming to see him-- and it was so sad, he didn't even know who my son was.
    But yes, we had to lift him and carry him outside to go to the bathroom, and my husband has a bad hip and it was very, very difficult.

We have two big dogs now but I think from now on, going forward, we will go back to my beloved terriers. If only so I can pick them up if need be.

Thanks for the responses. We took him this summer to see my son in Kansas since he was his dog. Then my son moved to Vietnam but visited Noki on his way in September. My little dogs have been easier because they were so sick. We will have lost 4 dogs in 18 months.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Thanks for the responses. We took him this summer to see my son in Kansas since he was his dog. Then my son moved to Vietnam but visited Noki on his way in September. My little dogs have been easier because they were so sick. We will have lost 4 dogs in 18 months.
    I'm so sorry!

Losing a dog is so incredibly painful. It's one of the reasons I'm reluctant to get another, having lost my border collie/lab just about a year ago. Hugs to you, TT.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information