Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toxic Masculinity

Toxic Masculinity

Just saw one of those Gillette ads scolding men for all their many sins. How this will sell more razors is a mystery to me. Is there a significant woke market segment this is intended to reach?

My wife claims they charge more for the equivalent women’s products. Wouldn’t changing that be a more effective form of virtue signaling?

I saw that ad--it was posted on one of my FB feeds. The art and science of consumer advertising is very interesting. It's not uncommon at all for ads to appeal to the cultural values du jour, with no apparent connection to product features. It's all PR, ever since women were compelled to start smoking in the 1920s because PR giant Bernays told them that smoking=freedom and independence.

Then there's the happy, kumbaya Coke ad "I'd like to teach the world to sing" reflecting the peace/love era.
    Then there's the Dove ads, telling women that they are beautiful no matter how much they weigh

This Gillette ad has already stirred a lot of controversy, from what I saw on the news, but they're not pulling it. At least it's getting them some publicity, and as they say, there's no such thing as bad press.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Haven’t seen it.

"Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town

I still use the same straight razor I purchased in 1983.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I still use the same straight razor I purchased in 1983.
    Perhaps a genderfluid razor would be more appropriate for the times.

"Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Maybe if they'd just smile more they'd be more likeable. I mean, really, Brett Kavanaugh just seemed so emotional when he was testifying.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Maybe if they'd just smile more they'd be more likeable. I mean, really, Brett Kavanaugh just seemed so emotional when he was testifying.
    nailed it.
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

Anybody see this parody? Enjoy!

Thread Information