Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Jussie Smollette case

The Jussie Smollette case

What the heck is going on? If you haven't heard yet.....the prosecutor let him go with a $10,000 fine (he didn't get his bond back), and a little community service, and his criminal record wiped clean. The prosecutor didn't talk to the police, the mayor, or anyone else until it was a done deal.
    I guess the prosecutor didn't think he was innocent, but felt this case was no where near the importance of many of the other crimes going on out there in Chicago.

Something seems rotten in Denmark. What about the 2 brothers Smollette paid to be part of this scheme? What about all the lying, etc.?
    Something is just not right here.
    What's your take on this?

The Chicago police superintendent (who is African-American) and Rahm were just livid.

Jussie claims to be on the side of downtrodden folks, but he used his privilege. He did his “community service” at Rainbow Push Coalition - Jesse Jackson’s group.

The whole thing leaves a very bad taste in my mouth. Jussie is two faced.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    This case really depresses me. The implication that I am getting from it is the same as that I got from OJ Simpson's first case, the one featuring him on national TV driving his Bronco down a Socal freeway - that justice in this country can be bought. It's bad enough to me that there is no equality in sentencing to begin with (women typically are sentenced for much shorter terms than men are for the same crimes, google is your friend here if this seems unbelievable to you) but the ability to purchase a get out of jail free card like in a third world nation America would wish you to look down on? No wonder that this country is the laughing stock of the developed world (and some developing nations, also).

I also believe that this case is not helpful to race relations in the US. I don't know that there will be a boilover from this, but I doubt it will be soon forgotten. This case is too symbolic of so much that is wrong with America.......liberal that I may be, this was not handled right. Rob

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    The Chicago police superintendent (who is African-American) and Rahm were just livid.

Jussie claims to be on the side of downtrodden folks, but he used his privilege. He did his “community service” at Rainbow Push Coalition - Jesse Jackson’s group.

The whole thing leaves a very bad taste in my mouth. Jussie is two faced.
    Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel (where did he get that first name? What a cool male name, I've never heard it before he rose to prominence) is saying that how Smollett's case was handled "makes fools of us all" - I could not agree more. For me, this case transcends race and politics - what Smollett did is wrong and illegal and there should be legal consequences. That fact that there will not be makes a mockery of the rule of law for us all. And I'm not suddenly awakening my Inner Conservative - what Smollett did was wrong. Period. End of Story. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel (where did he get that first name? What a cool male name, I've never heard it before he rose to prominence) is saying that how Smollett's case was handled "makes fools of us all" - I could not agree more. For me, this case transcends race and politics - what Smollett did is wrong and illegal and there should be legal consequences. That fact that there will not be makes a mockery of the rule of law for us all. And I'm not suddenly awakening my Inner Conservative - what Smollett did was wrong. Period. End of Story. Rob
    I'm inclined to agree with you. And while I don't think he needed a jail sentence, I think he should have been required to reimburse the police for the cost to taxpayers. And I think police officers who kill unarmed citizens--because they can--should face justice as well. But they won't.

I am not going to get all outraged about this because I don’t much care for this crap anymore, the crap that the media tells us is super important to pay attention to, but it really is of no value.

That said – it is cheering that Rahm Emanuelle and the police Superintend are vocally unhappy about this outcome.They are standing up for their city as they should be.This is really just a game of image anyway, and it makes me happy that Chicago officials are not signing off on this one.What actually happens to Smollette is of little interest to society because it doesn’t matter where he ends up. He seems like a scummy character And I think his career will suffer somewhat from this even though there will be gains as well
    Last edited by iris lilies; 3-27-19 at 5:11pm.

I understand the feds are looking at him for mail fraud.

I find this whole thing disgusting. A woman that didn’t know a felon can’t vote is going to prison for 10 years and this guy walks. Ugh!

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    I understand the feds are looking at him for mail fraud.
    Yes, he sent some sort of threatening letter and when that didn’t work, the faked attack.

Yeah, when national news decides this is their lead story...I stop paying attention.

Thread Information