Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What would you consider a hearty breakfast?

There's no need to label foods by mealtime. We often eat dinner leftovers for breakfast.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosemary View Post
    There's no need to label foods by mealtime. We often eat dinner leftovers for breakfast.
    I agree. Dr. Fuhrman recommends green salads for breakfast. Many Asians eat soup--that's my style. If I have leftover homemade soup, it makes a great breakfast. I really don't like spending time preparing breakfast.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I eat a small breakfast but by 11 am I eat my big meal for the day. For dinner I have oatmeal or a salad.

When I worked the Wholefoods 6am deli counter shift, I learned to eat anything at anytime (except tuna salad). Cannot do tuna before noon. Like many others have said, think outside the box of traditional breakfast foods.

Too bad you don't do oatmeal; it's been my go-to breakfast food all winter. In fact I am eating it right now as I type - 1/2 cup oatmeal, one apple chopped up, with handful or raisins, walnuts and some cinnamon on top, plus a little unsweetened vanilla almond milk.

I have a tablespoon of peanut butter every morning after I do my stretches- 30 minutes...then about an hour later I have a chunk of cheese, blueberries and oat bran cooked together with a bit of butter. Good luck finding a meal you can enjoy earlier in the day.

What about an oatmeal alternative like polenta, cream of rice, cream of wheat?

Geila
    Sorry, I think I confused the thread by talking about the foods I can't eat. I'm really looking for what you consider a big breakfast in terms of quantity - regardless of what you eat. Because I don't have an appetite that time of day, I have a hard time gauging that.

For me a hearty breakfast is two breakfast burritos, using 8 inch flour tortillas. Filled with two scrambled eggs, a medium potato fried, some salsa, a Serrano pepper and some grated cheese. I do this once a week on the weekend and can skip lunch unless I woke up super early.

Our "hearty breakfast" is usually a "Scottish breakfast" with eggs, rolls, sausage, bacon, stewed tomatoes, tea and orange juice.

When I was staying with my great-aunt at the beach, our daily breakfast was cereal (cold for me; hot for her), a soft-boiled egg, 3 prunes (no more, no less), juice and tea (for her).
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

My hearty breakfast would include pork sausage--or better yet--a chicken-fried steak--a big helping of cabbage and onions sauteed in butter, and three poached eggs. And a glass of V8. And maybe a couple of strips of bacon. That would likely be it for the day.

Thread Information