Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What would you consider a hearty breakfast?

Geila

What would you consider a hearty breakfast?

My doctor changed my medication 10 days ago - upped the dosage - and now I have to take one pill in the morning with breakfast and two with dinner. Before it was just at dinner time. Thing is I never eat breakfast because I'm not hungry until afternoon. Today is the earliest I've taken it, at 9:40 am, usually it's not till 1:30 pm or so.

This medication can cause some serious and permanent side effects and my doc thinks spacing out the dosage will help with that. I fear that I'm taking them too close as I normally eat dinner around 6 pm. I will need to be on this med for at least 4 more months so need to figure this out.

The question I have for you guys is portion size. The meds I'm on are best absorbed taken with food and my doc said the more food the better, also the more fat the better.

What would you consider a generous sized breakfast?
    Last edited by Geila; 1-22-19 at 5:11pm. Reason: clarity

I was going to recommend perhaps eggs baked in either custard cups or muffin tins as a way of psychologically presenting a smaller breakfast that still had substantial nutritional value. Perhaps you could use egg whites or egg substitute, in part or in full. Add some bacon or sliced sausage or (non-dairy) cheese or broccoli and you have a breakfast which will supply necessary nutrients without a lot you don't need.

Perhaps put a minute steak (or part of one) or a slice of chicken breast or turkey or ham on your not-too-big whole-grain bagel or toast (a Costco bagel is "generous sized" but it is mostly processed carbs and not a nutritious food item) and top it with slivers of red bell pepper or cucumber or pickle. Maybe eat soy cream cheese (like Tofutti) on crackers with smoked salmon or dairy-free cheese or sliced cucumbers (or some combination) -- or spread peanut butter on the same platform.

IMHO your best bet is to ignore traditional breakfast foods (which, in North America are substantially processed carbs and little else) and go for a little protein balanced by either fruit or vegetables or even a starch. Have a little tuna or salmon with avocado and some shredded carrots or sliced tomato on the side. Or go further afield and eat last night's stirfry. Or a baked potato with some protein (dairy-free cheese, bean chili, etc.). Or chicken and dumplings.

Really, whatever you would eat for lunch or dinner, you can eat for breakfast. I think your doctor's idea is to eat real food, ideally something with a little protein and fat for the medication to work with. After that, it's up to you.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

I'm the same. I can't be bothered making myself big breakfasts. But I do eat a banana every morning. Would that be enough? Maybe a banana and a cup of yogurt would be easy and fill the bill.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I have a banana every morning, a hard-boiled egg, a dollop of peanut butter if I'm really hungry, some pineapple or other fruit, and some toast or similar. (I would like to eliminate the toast at some point but haven't gotten there yet). I know the eggs and nuts aren't good options for you Geila, but how about sunflower seed butter? It's pretty tasty and I understand it to be OK for people with nut allergies.
    I have also heard of some people putting coconut oil in their coffee, which would be another potential source of fat. It doesn't sound very appealing to me, but it could be one of those things that tastes better than it sounds!

I can't eat eggs either. It is amazing how much the non-sweet breakfast things rely on eggs.

I think Steve has the right idea--forget about "breakfast food" and think of food that you like to eat that fits the requirements.

Things that I eat for breakfast:

Whole wheat english muffin with peanut butter or an avocado
    Plain greek yogurt--you could sub in soy yogurt
    Homemade muffins--you can control the sugar and fat if you make them yourself. Make a big batch and freeze them.

But you could also just eat a sandwich, or soup, or a salad with a full-fat dressing, or leftovers from dinner the night before.

Do you like bacon? You can cook an entire package at once, on the stove top or in the microwave, and store it in the fridge. This is what my brother did when his son was on a special diet that required lots of protein and fat.

If you have a hard time eating early in the day, I'd make the food you do eat something you like, that you could look forward to.

Sadly, in your shoes I'd be chowing down on bacon and my sister's cinnamon bread, with no regard to fat or sugar content. Hey, it's doctor's orders.

Avocado toast, especially with a whole grain or even sprouted bread.

I like the idea of sunbutter.

Apple slices or a banana with sunbutter.

Dairy free (but not almond or cocoanut) yogurt.

Beans and rice.

Hummus and veggie dippers.

I absolutely love sauteed greens for breakfast, but that's probably just me!

When they say lots of food, does that mean calories or volume? Because there's a difference. Volume would have me suggesting fruit salad or green salad with dressing. Calories = probably meat?

If one should breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and sup like a pauper, you are free to enjoy whatever foods you find tasty and nutritious. All you are doing is changing the time of eating.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Maybe some kind of burrito with a whole grain tortilla?
    Sausages you can nuke?
    When you can't have eggs, dairy or nuts, that doesn't leave a lot except non-traditional breakfast options.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

It's a shame eggs are a no go. That would fit the requirement and be quick and easy to make. Aside from them I'd personally go with the avacado toast. Lots of fat there, but good fat. And avocados are yummy!

Can you handle cheese? I've known people who can't handle milk but cheese seems to be ok for them. Trying to think outside the box, what about a grilled cheese sandwich for breakfast. Personally I'd actually kind of like that I think, although I normally do a more traditional breakfast or just a bowl of cereal if I don't want to spend the time.

Grill a pile of salmon patties on Sundays. chop one up, heat in skillet or microwave, and make a wrap with your tortilla of choice dressing with whatever you like.

Cook a sausage patty. Toast a whole grain or double fiber english muffin.

Hearty to me means it should be at least 300 calories if not 600, and include some fat.

I cook bacon 3# at a time. Crumble it up and freeze it. Can take out what I want. Add a few slices worth on top of just 1 scrambled egg (since you can tolerate some) and add a piece of buttered toast.

You may need to resort to nutrition bars? Go for the high calorie high energy bar.

And yes, I would not take a twice a day med any closer than 10 hours. Ideally 12h between doses.

Bagels are empty calories-so little nutrition.

Thread Information