Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What would you consider a hearty breakfast?

What I eat most mornings: two extra-large eggs, fried, and 2-4 ounces of some form of "breakfast meat" (usually bacon or sausage [the real thing, not turkey bacon or chicken sausage]). Comes to about 35 grams of protein, 45-50 grams of fat, and 3-4 grams of carbohydrates. So whatever you eat that adds up something like that.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

If I’ll be outside on a cold day or just need a filling comfort food breakfast I make pancakes. If you need some fat to help with medication, I bet there is a way to add butter or bacon.

I think the ideal breakfast is ommlete with vegetable salad, I use my round mandoline slicer for cutting rapidly the veggies before going to job. I eat this breakfast since I was a child

Has anyone mentioned bean soup? I make mine with 3 cans of chili flavored beans, black, pinto, kidney and a can of chili flavored diced tomatoes. I just dump them all in a tupperware, keep it in the refrigerator and scoop some out, microwave a minute, add cheese and croutons. I don't cook them beforehand.

Geila
    Arggghhh. I have only managed to eat one other meal before noon since my original post. Both meals have been basically carb bombs which then lead to carb cravings: bagel for breakfast which leads to feels of hunger a couple of hours later so I had a bowl of cereal with flaxmilk (which I just discovered and really like), and another carb craving a couple of hours after that so it's not a sustainable approach.

I bought lots of other things to make myself a tasty meal with protein but I just can't bring myself to eat. I've even tried bribing myself with breakfast out as a treat and that didn't do it either.

I'm not sure what to try next.

Quote Originally Posted by Geila View Post
    I bought lots of other things to make myself a tasty meal with protein but I just can't bring myself to eat. I've even tried bribing myself with breakfast out as a treat and that didn't do it either.

I'm not sure what to try next.
    Would it be easier to drink something early enough for your medication dose? If so, you might try "bulletproof coffee" -- coffee (or, I suppose, tea or chai tea or hot chocolate or such) with something like coconut oil or CBD oil or such mixed in to provide at least some fat for the medication to work with. Or is there a way you could space the dosages apart but later in the day, for example, eat "breakfast" (or call it an early lunch) around 11:00-11:30 , eat dinner at a regular time, and then have a substantial snack with the second dose before you go to sleep?
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Geila
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    Would it be easier to drink something early enough for your medication dose? If so, you might try "bulletproof coffee" -- coffee (or, I suppose, tea or chai tea or hot chocolate or such) with something like coconut oil or CBD oil or such mixed in to provide at least some fat for the medication to work with. Or is there a way you could space the dosages apart but later in the day, for example, eat "breakfast" (or call it an early lunch) around 11:00-11:30 , eat dinner at a regular time, and then have a substantial snack with the second dose before you go to sleep?
    I've tried the bulletproof thing and I couldn't stomach it. Swallowing that amount of fat was too unpleasant. I also can't eat before bed (especially fatty foods) as then I get heartburn.

I wonder if I can do a breakfast shake - it has to be dairy free and I can't use too much coconut milk (it contains citric acid which aggravates my GERD). What would be a good fat source that is dairy free and contains no citric acid........? Soymilk and flaxmilk don't have enough fat (I'm also not sure how much soy I want to eat given my other food allergies as soy seems to accompany most food allergy groups)......... I can't use eggs.

I've tried the bulletproof thing and I couldn't stomach it. Swallowing that amount of fat was too unpleasant. I also can't eat before bed (especially fatty foods) as then I get heartburn.

I wonder if I can do a breakfast shake - it has to be dairy free and I can't use too much coconut milk (it contains citric acid which aggravates my GERD). What would be a good fat source that is dairy free and contains no citric acid........? Soymilk and flaxmilk don't have enough fat (I'm also not sure how much soy I want to eat given my other food allergies as soy seems to accompany most food allergy groups)......... I can't use eggs.
    Can you use probiotic greek yogurt? Kefir? Then add some alternative milk products? I make my husband a smoothie with greek yogurt, Glucerna (he's diabetic), blueberries, bananas, and chia seeds. Of course there a many variations on that theme, but you get the idea. Maybe a liquid nutritional supplement would work in place of dairy. There are plant-based ones out there
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Do you like avocados? You can put them in a smoothie. Add fruit/berries to sweeten if necessary and combine with your flax milk; it should be fairly palatable to you and won't feel like swallowing a mouthful of oil, just creamy. Or, if you can eat it, maybe sunflower butter (I think previously you said you were allergic to nuts)? Perhaps a couple of tablespoons would be enough fat.

Also, I'm curious about the citric acid in coconut milk - are you saying this is naturally occurring, or that you see it listed on your coconut milk? I've never seen that, or heard of it, so just wondering.

Geila
    I can't do yogurt at all - that's what made me realize I'm allergic to dairy, or dairy protein it seems. After 2-3 days of eating it I get hives all over my throat and neck.

The citric acid is added to canned coconut milk and is listed on the ingredients. I noticed that after using the cocomilk in my coffee for a few days my stomach would get upset. Other foods that contain citric or ascorbic acid also bother my stomach.

Avocado! Yes, that might work. Thanks talula! In my mind avocado = homemade guacamole with chips (a savory snack), but I think I might be able to fool myself into thinking of the avocado as yogurt. I think it would have a similar mouth feel. From what I gather, seeds are okay for people with nut allergies so I think sunflower butter, which I've never tasted before or heard about but sounds good, would work as well. There's also pepitas, which is pumpkin seeds, and those are very tasty.

Okay, tomorrow I will go and buy myself the ingredients for my smoothie and see how it goes. Thanks, guys!

Thread Information