Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thrift store donations up after KonMari show

I have 5 sheets, I really only use the bottom sheets (they are all flat so top bottom, no difference) - so that's really 5 change of sheets. They are VERY nice sheets, I'm not giving them away, there was one I thought of giving away but probably not. They can sit quietly in drawer bothering noone. I mean just the sight of them in that drawer (a clear plastic thrifed drawer) is peaceful to me, maybe because it reminds me of one of my favorite activities: sleep . Do I use the flannel sheets in the coldest part of winter? Yes definitely. But that's not that much of the year, the cotton low thread count (ie cooler sheets) are summer.
    Trees don't grow on money

I was going to say that we have 3 sets, but I forgot about the flannel sheets, so 4 for the master bedroom, 3 for our daughter, and 2 for the guest bedroom. Plus, we have a lot of blankets. The whole family (including the dog and cats) fell in love with the plush blankets at Costco so everyone got one for Christmas, and then new colors came out the next year that we liked, and so on. And then we have comforters. And then my daughter changed her room colors 3 times in as many years so there are extra comforters. I have a giant pile of clothes and bedding in my bedroom waiting to be donated.

I saw 2 episodes of the Marie Kondo show on Netflix. I can't agree with the order she declutters since it seems like a lot of back and forth to me. I prefer to do one room, or even one closet, at a time and just get it done. The good thing is that I have restarted my decluttering after taking a break for the holidays. I watch one episode of Hoarders or a cleaning show and it is enough to kick start me into a cleaning spree.

SM, I declutter like you one room or closet at a time. We have a lot of plush blankets inherited from husband’s grandparents. We use them for ourselves and the dogs. We cover our car seats in the back, in their crate, on ourselves while watching tv,etc.

I've been down to one set of sheets per bed for a couple of years. So far so good. I can also understand why she has people declutter by category instead of by room. We repurposed our linen closet so we also only have one set of towels for each bathroom and those get washed when the sheets do. In an hour and a half everything is back in place.

We have one bed and at least 6 sets of sheets, 2 sets each of flannel, jersey and percale. We also have odd pieces, e.g. top sheet from set where fitted sheet got holes and was retired, extra pillow cases. I'll be going through all that stuff in the near future; I'm sure there are some things that I can get rid of.

I need enough towels for when we get overnight guests and when I bathe the dogs. I do keep extra pillowcases. My husband uses 4 pillows.

My mom always looks for decent pillowcases in thrift stores. They are ridiculously expensive to buy new and we don't care if they don't match the sheets.

I treated myself to LL Bean's Pima Cotton Percale sheets for my Japanese shikifuton and they are soooo cool and smooth in the summer. I also treated myself to their flannel comforter cover this winter and it's very soft and warm. My old cheap flannel sheet set will be replaced when the fitted and flat parts wear out, since I only need a flat one for the futon. All sheets and cover will be the same color.

Thread Information