Thread: craft/hobby and mental health

craft/hobby and mental health

I have been working on craft type stuff most of my life, yet more recently I have been reading about the link between mental health and hobbies. It makes sense and I was remembering some things from my past. One was that I moved high schools and I was ahead in math. In general I got math pretty quickly and was easily bored in math classes. So I brought needlepoint to class to manage myself. Later I had different types of doodling that I worked on in meetings that I could do under the radar. I had a process by which I looked like I was taking notes, looking up now and then, thoughtfully looking at my paper, but drawing patterns instead of notes. I even had some virtual meetings where I brought crochet to manage them better,

I really think it makes a difference, when I teach crochet I find that people come to make connections and often say they are relaxed by the end even if they don't crochet very well. The process of doing a craft together seems to support mental health.

What do the rest of you think, what is your experience.

I work remotely and use knitting or tatting during long non-participatory meetings to keep from stabbing someone in my mind.

I love crafts! My job is mostly analytical. When I craft (now it's paper crafts), I can use other parts of my brain. I love the textile part of it, too. That was especially true when I sewed and did counted cross-stitch.
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

I have rediscovered my love of hand embroidery I learned as a kid. It's come at just the right time of life because 1-it keeps me out of the kitchen and stuffing my face mindlessly, and 2- it's meditative for me as I deal with the stressful estrangement of my daughter. I find that as I stitch my mind does not go to dark places.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Thread Information