Thread: Puttanesca Salad!

Puttanesca Salad!

I am trying to find a way to get more sardines into my diet. Last night, I made a modified version of Puttanesca Salad. Puttanesca is generally a pasta dish, but I was trying for something without the starchy carbs. This is the recipe I found online:
    Combine tomatoes, onions, capers, olives, anchovies, garlic and parsley in a medium bowl. Dress with a drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil, just enough to lightly coat the salad, 1 to 2 tablespoons. Sprinkle in basil, salt and pepper, toss again and adjust seasonings, to your taste.
    My modifications:
    Sardines instead of anchovies
    No onions or garlic
    No salt (olives added enough saltiness for my taste)
    I ate it on a bed of green leaf lettuce. It was cheap and easy and healthy. I thought it was really good! My sister said the very thought of it made her gag, so certainly a matter of personal preference!

I remember having anchovies for the first time in a Caesar salad, being surprised they were there, but really enjoying them--so I like the sound of the salad as originally written. Sardines are, for me, a bridge too far, but they're wonderfully healthy. Seafood in general is hard for me; I may have helped clean too much of it as a child.

Jane: I like the taste of anchovies, but the texture of chewing their bristly little bones is what I find off-putting. The sardines were boneless and skinless. I do love seafood, but I find haddock and salmon fillets to be generally more lovable. I know Iris Lily would never dream of omitting the garlic and onions!

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    Jane: I like the taste of anchovies, but the texture of chewing their bristly little bones is what I find off-putting. The sardines were boneless and skinless. I do love seafood, but I find haddock and salmon fillets to be generally more lovable. I know Iris Lily would never dream of omitting the garlic and onions!
    Nor would I. Come to think of it, I've only had anchovies smushed up, and would probably have the same problem you had eating them whole. I've tried sardines, and I can get them down. Maybe I should try again. I've eaten salmon, too (how could I not, living up here as I do). I just tell myself I'm not a picky eater, I'm just doing my part for the ocean and its inhabitants.

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    I am trying to find a way to get more sardines into my diet....

For the love of god, WHY?????!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    For the love of god, WHY?????!!!!!!!!
    Good brain food is the first and foremost reason. Cheap, easy, healthy and sustainable seafood. Mom has been diagnosed with early Alzheimer's and I want to do what I can to avoid following the same path.

Thread Information