Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Neighbors and trash

When we did some cleaning out I noticed the neighbors bin wasn’t full so I asked them if I could put some stuff in. They should have asked.

We can put leaves in our garbage. We can’t leave them to compost because we have Astro-turf.

Terry, that is very logical. It is so far from how we live--my husband says absolutely no desert climates for him. I think I could deal, but he could not. I love how you do the astroturf for the doggies!

When we lived in the Midwest we just left them on the lawn. We live in the high desert so we still get all 4 seasons. I don’t want to be warm all the time. The Astro-turf was really expensive but after 6 years has not faded. It seemed irresponsible to have a lawn with the water shortage. Yep we did it for the doggies. Some people xeriscape which is cheaper.

We have found that this city/region (Front Range of Colorado) does not promote recycling to any great extent. It was mandatory back in Texas so we are well-trained. Every resident here has to select their own trash company (out of 4 or 5) ; recycling is available at an extra cost which in our case is $5 a month so we do that in addition to a compost pile. The odd thing about the young couple is that they have both the large trash and recycling receptacles but throw either/or trash and recycling in both receptacles and then have personal cans too. They do not have a baby; I think they are just sort of not interested/aware of doing things another way...like a lot of the people around here

We don't generate much trash. We are pretty careful about packaging and eat very little processed food. We recycle and compost, burn or shred paper which is then composted. Now wine bottles...…. we do have a bunch of those. Other than those, no beverages in cans or bottles.

Yes, we can throw yard waste in our regular trash can, although they've recently started a program to promote recycling of palm tree fronds. The target is commercial landscapers, and the goal is to recycle that material into cattle feed. Pretty amazing.
    https://www.phoenix.gov/publicworkss...m-Program.aspx

I could see composting at some future point but right now keeping the grounds of the rental house looking decent is about all we can manage. It's a 22 mile round trip for each visit. In the future if we get a tenant who is interested in gardening, maybe we can put in a composting setup and see how it goes.

As for the OP's neighbors, I'm surprised the trash company doesn't penalize them somehow. My friend had neighbors with a big family who repeatedly ignored the different requirements for regular and recycled trash, and after several warnings the city removed their recycle barrel and replaced it with a regular one. By putting regular trash in their recycle barrel, that family was contaminating the haul of their entire neighborhood and invalidating everyone else's efforts. It only takes one jerk.

Geila
    There's two of us humans and three pets and we only generate about a 13-gallon bag of trash as well. We have a recycling can, which sometimes gets full but often does not and a yard waste can that get a lot of use with our clippings and leaves as we have lots of trees. The trash company will also pick up yard waste from the street so we often use that in the fall when we have lots of leaves and tree clippings. We also have a free large item pickup twice per year (up to 3 items per pick up). You can also get different sized cans depending on your needs at no extra (or very little) charge. We have the smallest available.

With all of this available, I'm often surprised when I see people putting out overflowing trash cans. It's just people being lazy.

Two of my neighbors on this block have expensive asteoturf for their tiny city yards. In one case, she cannot keep any plants alive due to urine from several large dogs.

I dont understand where all of the urine goes and why it doesnt smell, but whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Two of my neighbors on this block have expensive asteoturf for their tiny city yards. In one case, she cannot keep any plants alive due to urine from several large dogs.

I dont understand where all of the urine goes and why it doesnt smell, but whatever.
    We have a neighbor who moved into the neighborhood about 5 years ago. I believe she's new to suburbia because she has made some very interesting landscape choices. For one thing, she lined the yard right at the sidewalk with trees and shrubs, which is fine--but I always feel bad because, just as you said, the little shrubs are inevitably brown on the side near the sidewalk. You'd think they'd give up by now, but they still have a rather strange yard. On one hand, I love it because it's not cookie cutter, but it does lack a certain aesthetic and practicality.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information