Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Neighbors and trash

Neighbors and trash

I suppose this could go under several different topics including environment...the neighbors across the back alley from us consist of a 25 yr old couple leasing the house from her mother. They have five garbage cans and every week they are stuffed and overflowing with all kinds of trash. Just wondering how in the world such a small household generates that much trash. Today, we found that they had thrown their excess in our can as they had run out of places to put anymore. It seems to be mostly packaged junk foods, candy wrappers and soda cans. Drives me nuts...

We make one bag of garbage a week. We do lots of recycling.

That's amazing. We do 1/2 bag of garbage a week and a full recycling bin every two weeks. We are 2 adults.

I hope you spoke with them after finding their garbage in your cans or at least put their junk back on their property. Our town is probably unusual about garbage pick up, but we have to pay for the cans through them and they expect us to only have to use one can in addition to the recycling bin. It's a huge can, though. Maybe her mother was a hoarder and they are cleaning it out? I can't imagine how two people can cause that much garbage unless they have a lot of parties.

Two of us generate one 13gallon sized trash bag per week.

It does go up if we entertain, as someone pointed out.

Also, a purchase might generate packing materials that don't recycle.

Five cans seems like a lot!

The not recycling the soda cans would be killing me. Also, I would want to get to know them so I could teach them to eat food.

but maybe it is a clean out situation? I have put up 18 cans in the last three weeks. Because I haven’t had trash service for items larger than a bread bag for the last two years, and because I am dehoarding areas that have never been fully addressed.

Similar situation here. My little rental house has cheap irrigation water. Decades ago it used to be farmland, and I swear the grass and weeds grow like we're deliberately fertilizing them. Even little trees spring up everywhere. It got way overgrown so for the past 2 years we've had an extra trash can which is filled when we mow and weed 2x/month. Extra trash can costs $13/month, and I've thought about stopping that service, but right now I can't see how we can.

Compost pile! (And a mulching mower)

Quote Originally Posted by Lainey View Post
    Similar situation here. My little rental house has cheap irrigation water. Decades ago it used to be farmland, and I swear the grass and weeds grow like we're deliberately fertilizing them. Even little trees spring up everywhere. It got way overgrown so for the past 2 years we've had an extra trash can which is filled when we mow and weed 2x/month. Extra trash can costs $13/month, and I've thought about stopping that service, but right now I can't see how we can.
    You are allowed to put yard waste in? Our transfer station and recycle center both have a place for yard waste so that it can be composted or mulched. Never fails though every year you see people put out bags and bags of leaves and then they wonder why the trash doesn't pick them up.

Back to the OP: Does this couple have a small baby? Diapers take up a huge amount of trashcan space. I always felt so guilty about that when we had 2 in diapers and I'm ashamed to admit I was a cloth diaper dropout.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Lainey, why don't you start a compost pile in a hidden corner of the yard? You can use one of those Rubbermaid barrels if you can't have an open compost pile?
    We have four compost piles but we have 5 acres. All our yard waste is composted. We let grass clippings lie and the yard looks good. Kitchen waste goes out everyday to the bin in the backyard, built out of pallets.

Thread Information