Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 36

Thread: Who here.....

  1. #21
    Simpleton Alan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    6,206
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    woah, interesting story! Well, keeping the nation’s blood supply safe means bureaucratic approach one rule fits all no exceptions you are out! Might as well be run by the government.
    Yes, I don't necessarily disagree with a hard line approach, I just wish they'd considered the potential consequences of their form letter.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

  2. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    7,494
    That’s terrible Alan.

  3. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    4,944
    I knew a guy in the Air Force who scalded his tongue on a slice of pizza. The base clinic wanted to treat it as a venereal disease. You can imagine the kind of sympathy he got from his peers.

    I know it’s cruel, but all these years later I still crack up when I recall him try to say “I don’t have syphilis” with cotton wrapped around his tongue.

  4. #24
    Senior Member jp1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    4,578
    Are the rules different for plasma than they are for whole blood? Gay men have to have been abstinant for a year before they can give blood. Or they have to give blood outside the US, since most other developed countries have more relaxed rules on this issue.

  5. #25
    Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    4,852
    Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Are the rules different for plasma than they are for whole blood? Gay men have to have been abstinant for a year before they can give blood. Or they have to give blood outside the US, since most other developed countries have more relaxed rules on this issue.
    No, as I understand they are the same. Right now I could not donate plasma - and for what it's worth, in reply to another poster who will remain unnamed, the plasma center calls your plasma a "donation" - this is where I took this word from - anyway, right now I could not donate plasma without lying. I'm not going to lie to donate plasma, not going to happen. I rebuke any efforts whatsoever at shaming me for who I am. Rob

  6. #26
    Senior Member iris lilies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    14,462
    Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    No, as I understand they are the same. Right now I could not donate plasma - and for what it's worth, in reply to another poster who will remain unnamed, the plasma center calls your plasma a "donation" - this is where I took this word from - anyway, right now I could not donate plasma without lying. I'm not going to lie to donate plasma, not going to happen. I rebuke any efforts whatsoever at shaming me for who I am. Rob
    I am curious to know why you brought up this topic. It is a fine topic, but why now?

  7. #27
    Senior Member jp1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    4,578
    Sorry if I came across as shaming. That wasn't my intent. I just wanted to make sure you had looked into the rules and wouldn't be put in an awkward situation at the donation center. I myself only became aware of the rule a few years ago when SO had undiagnosed leukemia for 2 1/2 years and during that time they were treating his main symptom, loss of red blood cells, with transfusions of one unit of blood per week on average. I wanted to donate blood and was surprised to learn that I couldn't for the same reason.

  8. #28
    Senior Member iris lilies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    14,462
    Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Sorry if I came across as shaming. That wasn't my intent. I just wanted to make sure you had looked into the rules and wouldn't be put in an awkward situation at the donation center. I myself only became aware of the rule a few years ago when SO had undiagnosed leukemia for 2 1/2 years and during that time they were treating his main symptom, loss of red blood cells, with transfusions of one unit of blood per week on average. I wanted to donate blood and was surprised to learn that I couldn't for the same reason.
    I remember about 10-12 years ago one of my close friends mentioned he was killing time in a place that happened to have a blood center and he went in thinking he could donate blood. He is a gay man so he could not donate and he was pretty surprised and hurt by that.


    I think, without looking it up for sure, there has been a relaxation of rules of the gay thing and it is as you say now —if a gay man has been abstaining for a year They CAN give blood. I’m pretty sure it used to be that if you ever had one gay encounter you could not give blood ever. At any time. Never. Ever.

  9. #29
    Senior Member SteveinMN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Saint Paul, Minnesota
    Posts
    5,410
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I think, without looking it up for sure, there has been a relaxation of rules of the gay thing and it is as you say now —if a gay man has been abstaining for a year They CAN give blood. I’m pretty sure it used to be that if you ever had one gay encounter you could not give blood ever. At any time. Never. Ever.
    When I go to donate at either of the two blood banks in town, one of the questions centers on gay encounters and uses "ever; forever ever" terms rather than asking if it's been at least one year since the last encounter. Maybe blood banks are different, but that question has remained the same in my questionnaires for years.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

  10. #30
    Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    4,852
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I am curious to know why you brought up this topic. It is a fine topic, but why now?
    No agenda, IL, it just popped into my head is all. Rob

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •