Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Who here.....

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Sorry if I came across as shaming. That wasn't my intent. I just wanted to make sure you had looked into the rules and wouldn't be put in an awkward situation at the donation center. I myself only became aware of the rule a few years ago when SO had undiagnosed leukemia for 2 1/2 years and during that time they were treating his main symptom, loss of red blood cells, with transfusions of one unit of blood per week on average. I wanted to donate blood and was surprised to learn that I couldn't for the same reason.
    Sorry, jp1....I didn't take your post as shaming in the slightest. My post was meant to address IL's comment re considering giving plasma a "donation". The last time I gave, which was in 2009, the plasma center did of course pop the gay sex question but it was contained to a two year period. Not to be too personal but at that time I could "donate" without lying. Rob

I did about a dozen years ago. Sometimes it would work and sometimes it didn't. I'd have problems with the "plasma-less" blood going back into the vein. I haven't donated blood for a long time. I'm going to Mexico in March, so if I'm going to do it, I should get on it.
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

I used to sell my plasma back in Michigan during my Wholefoods years. I used the extra cash to finance my jewelry supplies. It worked well for about 2 years and then my iron levels got too low and it was a bit iffy after that. Too many times driving all the way to the next town over only to be turned away.

I still have a scar on the inside of my left elbow from it.

I am not sure if we could ever sell blood in Canada, but you can't now.

I know that back in 1956 my mother needed many, many pints of blood,
    like thirty some, when my youngest sister was born. Lots of problems.

The deal back then was that you paid for each pint (don't remember how much but,
    it would have been a large amount on what my father was making as a prison gurard)

or friends and family made donations of 2 for 1.
    Thank goodness for my fathers coworkers (we had no family in the area),
    100 pints were donated.
    My father gave every six weeks and promoted it to everyone all his life.
    The need is always there.

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    The last time I gave, which was in 2009, the plasma center did of course pop the gay sex question but it was contained to a two year period.
    Wow - fascinating:

https://www.redcrossblood.org/donate...tq-donors.html

Bae, that is fascinating to say the least!

To the OP, seems the new deferral period was reduced to 12 months.

The allowances for trans persons doesn't make sense to me. And, please, I am not being insensitive. I just don't understand the medical / scientific reasons.

Thread Information