Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who here.....

I've never weighed enough to donate blood or plasma.

I have tried once to give, not sell, blood. They teased about half a pint out before my vien was shutting things down and I got pastey faced. They had to wheel me behind curtains and feed me doughnuts and juice with a cold wash rag on my forehead. I have had more than a few manly persuits with not much trouble, but the sight of my own blood does weird things that are beyond my control.

I tried to donate, many years ago I didn't weigh enough, the last time I tried I had slightly low iron. I have not tried again, although it would have been nice when I was really broke to have the option to sell blood.

Same here, Rogar. I have fainted before when techs tried to take my blood for my own medical check-ups, so unfortunately I can't donate blood or give plasma. Kudos to those who do, it's an ongoing need.
    I think I have small veins, and it started when an inexperienced phlebotomist had to dig around and still wasn't successful. Next thing I knew it was lights out. But I just saw a new device to make finding veins easy:
    https://www.cnet.com/news/near-infra...asier-to-find/ If that makes it painless then maybe I could donate some day.

DH donated blood for years. He is taking a break at the moment that started when he had a cold. He has big fat veins that pour out his blood and is a universal donor, so he is a rock star in the blood donor world.

We would give our blood or products but because we spent more than 3 months in England during the Mad Cow Disease Crisis, they refuse. Hubby is even B- and they wont take it. In fact, the requirement used to be 6 months and they have lowered it to 3 months. We checked recently. Cant say I blame them because I dont think there is any test for it.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    DH donated blood for years. He is taking a break at the moment that started when he had a cold. He has big fat veins that pour out his blood and is a universal donor, so he is a rock star in the blood donor world.
    My wife is a universal donor as well and I have the big fat veins. We donated blood regularly for several years until our local blood center showed just how much they thought of us. It started when I received a form letter telling me that my latest donation tested positive for Hepatitis C and went on to let me know that I was banned from donating blood again due to my risky behavior since the most prevalent means of Hep C exposure was from unprotected sex with sketchy partners or illegal drug use involving shared needles. Needless to say this news caused a look on my wife's face that I had not yet seen in our many years of marriage, nor have I seen since.

I called the blood center and asked them to test again as I believed they had a false positive. They refused and politely reminded me that I should not return, when I mentioned my wife they suggested she not return either due to her daily contact with me. I immediately made an appointment with our primary care physician to arrange further testing and soon convinced my wife that her look was unwarranted although the blood center wasn't interested in subsequent test results.

We haven't been back since.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    My wife is a universal donor as well and I have the big fat veins. We donated blood regularly for several years until our local blood center showed just how much they thought of us. It started when I received a form letter telling me that my latest donation tested positive for Hepatitis C and went on to let me know that I was banned from donating blood again due to my risky behavior since the most prevalent means of Hep C exposure was from unprotected sex with sketchy partners or illegal drug use involving shared needles. Needless to say this news caused a look on my wife's face that I had not yet seen in our many years of marriage, nor have I seen since.

I called the blood center and asked them to test again as I believed they had a false positive. They refused and politely reminded me that I should not return, when I mentioned my wife they suggested she not return either due to her daily contact with me. I immediately made an appointment with our primary care physician to arrange further testing and soon convinced my wife that her look was unwarranted although the blood center wasn't interested in subsequent test results.

We haven't been back since.
    woah, interesting story! Well, keeping the nation’s blood supply safe means bureaucratic approach one rule fits all no exceptions you are out! Might as well be run by the government.

Wow Alan, What a nasty thing to happen! We used to donate regularly as it was easy to do on the way home from work. Since we retired I've donated a few times. They seem to be much less organized that before or maybe I just have no patience. I haven't donated for several years, now, as the last time was so unpleasant.

I've donated a few times but always felt faint though cookies, juice and lying down after helped. Well some of the time I was under the weight limit and lied and said I wasn't (because what's a few pounds anyway and they don't actually weigh you).
    Trees don't grow on money

Thread Information