Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is the deal with anti-vaxxers anyway?

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar

What is the deal with anti-vaxxers anyway?

I don't understand the big deal about vaccines and why there are people so vehemently against them. Does anyone else here get this? Vaccines prevent diseases - at least diseases there are vaccines for - why would anyone be against the concept? Maybe I'm missing something here? Rob

The Internet has empowered people with "unique" belief systems to find and reinforce each other.

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    I don't understand the big deal about vaccines and why there are people so vehemently against them. Does anyone else here get this? Vaccines prevent diseases - at least diseases there are vaccines for - why would anyone be against the concept? Maybe I'm missing something here? Rob
    A common reason is that parents believe the vaccines make their children autistic.

There are probably many other reasons.You know that some peoples health conditions preclude them from getting these vaccinations don’t you?

I know that our pets are over vaccinated.

Sometimes the societal good is not necessarily good for the individual. I balk at neutering and spaying every pet, for instance, Especially the early neuter programs of the shelters.

I vaccinated my kids and would do it again. Because my young 3 year old Maltese died likely from the rabies vaccine and is part of a national study I am not vaccinating her 2 half siblings. From my research dogs once they get all their puppy shots between birth and one year of age are immune for life. I don’t get flu shots.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I vaccinated my kids and would do it again. Because my young 3 year old Maltese died likely from the rabies vaccine and is part of a national study I am not vaccinating her 2 half siblings. From my research dogs once they get all their puppy shots between birth and one year of age are immune for life. I don’t get flu shots.
    How does your municipality handle the lack of a rabies vaccination? Can you get an exemption from your vet?Or maybe you just don’t license these dogs.Can you get an exemption from your vet?

Yes I can get a exception. Since rabies is mandatory I have to fill out a form so they aren’t in trouble. I also don’t license them. However, if my dogs were to bite someone they couldn’t quarantine at home. Amy is five and had shots and max got all his up to the first year.

I'm on a Facebook group that has 6,000 worldwide people, and someone brought up the topic of vaccines and, boy, I had no idea what an incendiary topic that is!!! Right up there with abortion and Trump! Rob, you are right--vehement is the right word to describe the anti-vaxxers. But the vaxxers were just as vehement.

I believe vaccines have been a great public good--especially the ones against childhood illnesses. We have had a pretty serious outbreak of measles in NJ because certain groups, such as the Orthodox Jewish community, prohibit vaccines. Of course, they are not the only ones. Apparently the typical anti-vaxxer is a college-educated white female.

As far as pets go, we went for a time without licensing or vaccinating our dog, but we gave in when we really wanted to belong to a dog park that mandated licenses, and therefore vaccines. I have no problem with rabies vaccines either. I'd rather get the dog the vaccine than have to have him euthanized if he were to come in contact with a rabid animal.

I support anyone's right to get their child or pet vaccinated or not, but in this case, I do believe that this anti-vax trend is a threat to the rest of us for no science-based reason
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Fear-mongering works equally well among the educated and non-educated.

The Ebola crisis is getting worse because the fearful have killed healthcare workers providing care and accused the gov't and foreign healthcare of conspiracies. Measles numbers are getting worse... and so are other diseases wherever fear is driving individual thought.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I wouldn't wish these diseases on anyone. Polio? Rubella? Hepatitis B? HPV? Among all the others......

I simply cannot comprehend not vaccinating. Vehement? Well, if I must be labeled I suppose that fits.

I really hesitate to say this, but I think (and also Bae is onto something) that much of this anti-vaxx sentiment goes right along with the current helicopter parenting style and culture. Somehow (along with the autism myth) the fear of adverse reaction to vaccine has skyrocketed way above the fear of communicable diseases like measles, mumps, rubella. Even though these adverse reactions are quite rare, no uber-mom & dad's little Emma or Aidan will be one of those statistics.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Thread Information