Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Treating Diabetes with a Low-Carb diet

"Would it be easier to drink something like a smoothie or maybe some hemp milk or something like that?" (Steve)

I'm not diabetic--at least my occasional finger stick BG tests have never indicated a problem--but I start every day with a loaded coffee with various add-ins including coconut milk and protein powder, sometimes a raw egg, sometimes MCT oil. A smoothie of some kind (spiced pumpkin puree, maybe?) would be less likely to spike your BG than crackers.

There is lots of judgment for people who have T2 diabetes. I know this and it has kept me from talking about my diagnosis with friends and family. I fear they will think I gave it to myself and that it's my 'fault'.

As for breakfast options - I don't like the idea of smoothies because they are so quickly ingested that I think it would not feel like food to me. Also, I don't know how that would work with med absorption. But I did pick up some lower carb crackers and some lower carb seeded bread as well. Too bad I can't eat eggs everyday, that would be ideal. I need to get a hold of some of that coconut flour everyone's talking about. If I had a better appetite in the a.m., soup would be ideal as well. Oh well. Not the end of the world. Just a challenge to work on.

Quote Originally Posted by Geila View Post
    TAs for breakfast options - I don't like the idea of smoothies because they are so quickly ingested that I think it would not feel like food to me. Also, I don't know how that would work with med absorption.
    Interesting observation. Weight Watchers assigns points to a smoothie d/t the breakdown already being complete whereas the fruit in it's whole form is zero points.

Some illnesses are self inflicted and the same ones may not be. A example is HBP. Despite being thin, exercising etc I got it because everyone in my family has it. Once I got it I gained weight despite exercising, etc.

This is a wonderful article explaining how I try to view people as they learn to manage their illnesses - whether physical or mental.

https://medium.com/@devonprice/lazin...t-3af27e312d01

I've noticed over the years that parents with different body types produce children together, the resulting offspring inherit appetites to match. As my aunt (short and plump, married to a tall, lean man) pointed out "Carol can eat bowls of ice cream and never gain an ounce, while Cathy looks at a carrot and gains weight." I've seen this kind of thing too much to blame people for their size. There's a reason some people are insatiable, and it's usually some kind of inherited hormonal issue, like insulin resistance, which we are finally beginning to understand and treat. People with IR are particularly susceptible to our screwed-up dietary/marketing nexus.

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    This is a wonderful article explaining how I try to view people as they learn to manage their illnesses - whether physical or mental.

https://medium.com/@devonprice/lazin...t-3af27e312d01
    This is a great article. Thanks for sharing, Tammy.

I bought wheat thins and The Rustic Oven seeded bread yesterday. Boy, those wheat thins are tasty. And surprisingly sweet. They are probably not good for long-term because they are too easy to overeat. The Rustic Oven bread is delicious! And very hearty and filling. This one looks like a keeper. I can have 1/2 a slice (the slices are very large) at 12 gr of carbs and it's very satisfying. I also bought some Dave's Killer bread but find it too sweet and too thin, so I know it would be easy to overeat and it doesn't have the same satisfying taste, plus it costs almost twice as much.

Yikes! I've impugned the character of Dr. Greger! It was Dr. Katz who penned the phony reviews. I get them confused because they have similar views, but I came across a book by Katz today, and it jogged my memory. So apologies to Greger who has probably never written a fake review under a ridiculous nom de plume in his life. My apologies, Doc.

Update:
    My diabetes is officially under control. My fasting glucose average for the past 2 weeks has been 115. I was able to eliminate the glipizide and found out the horrible daily headaches I was having was because of it (and it's possible the extended blurred vision might have been a result of it as well). I ended up not increasing my Metformin because I was worried about possible liver damage so that has stayed at 500 mg per day. I started the Atkins diet over 2 weeks ago and it has helped a great deal in stabilizing my blood sugar. During the day and at night my sugar is pretty low, usually in the low 90's and sometimes in the 80's, but the fasting has been more difficult to bring down. I found that an Atkins shake before bed helps to bring it down to the low 100's (106 or so is the average when I have the shake).

I've been pleasantly surprised at how good the Atkins website is. They have lots of cool tools for tracking and a very active and positive online community. I've also been relying pretty heavily on the Atkins bars for breakfast, though now I'm trying to cut back on those just to get a more natural diet. And man, they have some really delicious treats! My favorite are their turtles and mound bars. They're called something else of course, but that's what they taste like. So that has helped since I do have a sweet tooth and it keeps me from feeling deprived.

Sadly, my weight loss has not been of the speedy variety. According to my food tracker, I'm eating too many calories. And according to my research the metformin dosage is too low to produce any weight loss. So, the next goal is to bring my calorie intake down and increase my exercise. Oh, well. No easy fix there.

It has been slightly over a month since all this started but it feels like 5 years! I'm still doing lots of dr. appts and bloodwork, just did a tough one yesterday, but it looks like my liver and kidneys are okay. And my lipid panel, ALT and AST are back to normal. And my vision is finally back to normal. I just got a new prescription that is slightly higher than the one from 6-months ago, but I've been able to use my old reading glasses and I can drive again.

Steve - I really want to thank you for all your help and encouragement through all this. It's been such a scary time for me and you helped me so much. Even when I stopped posting about the daily details, I was still rereading through the post for advice and information. It was a huge help.
    Sending you a big virtual hug and many, many thanks!

Thanks, Geila! I'm so glad to hear things are moving in a very positive direction for you!
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Thread Information