Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Treating Diabetes with a Low-Carb diet

Hang in there, Geila. You are making a number of changes at the same time, and it takes our bodies (and our minds) time to adapt to the new ways.

Maybe your BG numbers are not where you want them to be, but they're much better than some of the numbers you've hit, and that's nothing but good news. Don't stress about hitting 100 every time you check. 140 is not terrible; it puts you in the "zone" for only a little while -- and it's way better than 300-something!

You are on the right track. Success will help beget success. Once you've got a steady/higher level of Metformin in you, your eyesight should stabilize and I'm thinking that will help you a lot right now. Then you can consider what you want to work on next. Look at it this way: you're healthier than you were and you're working on getting healthier. It does take time so don't get on your own case about how long it takes; there's no real timetable and at least you're on your way.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Geila
    Part of the frustration is that I'm being told that I will be able to hit my numbers if I just keep my carbs to 165 grams per day. And yet here I am, feeling guilty and stressed because I've let mine creep up to 30-45 per day, because I feel I should be at 20 or less. I don't know what is more stressful, trying to stay at super low carb or increasing my meds if I need to. It's pretty sad when eating a few crackers makes you feel scared and ashamed.

Quote Originally Posted by Geila View Post
    Part of the frustration is that I'm being told that I will be able to hit my numbers if I just keep my carbs to 165 grams per day. And yet here I am, feeling guilty and stressed because I've let mine creep up to 30-45 per day, because I feel I should be at 20 or less.
    165? A non-Olympic-athlete/-hard laborer only needs 25-30 grams of carbohydrates a day to provide the body's glucose needs -- and bodies in ketosis (n.b., not ketoacidosis) can create glucose from protein to satisfy that need, too. The body still needs more calories and vitamins and minerals, but 165 carbs is a huge amount for someone whose body already has problems managing glucose.

Geila, two things:

First, when you measure your carb intake, you should be measuring net carbs -- that's grams of carbohydrate minus grams of fiber, since fiber is not soluble in the body. If you're already measuring that way, okay; if not, you've got some room to add some carbs. I try to hit 30 net carbs a day and that still gives me room for a big salad at lunch and veggies at dinner plus, sometimes, a square of dark chocolate if I have that itch. A couple of crackers (particularly the whole-grain kind) should not send your numbers up to the roof.

Second, please do not feel guilty or stressed about where you are in managing your T2 right now. Your BG was running how high before it was tested? It's now routinely half of that. That's progress and you did that. The diabetes? Your role in that is indeterminate: we don't know why some folks develop diabetes while others with the same environments and risk factors do not. There is no one thing you did that got you here.

You're making some big changes with medication and diet (that infection helped make things a little crazy, too) and it will take some time to right the ship. Keep track of your numbers but don't sweat a jump of 10-15 points unless it adds up every day -- and don't let stress add to everything that's going on now. Find your happy place and visit it; your body and your mind need that right now.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Geila
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    165?
    I know. I just nodded and kept my mouth shut. This is what the 'health educator' recommends for women, men get even more carbs. And yet she (the educator), was riding me because my numbers were still high after 2 weeks. It made me feel like crap. I can't imagine how people would be able to lower their glucose on that many carbs. She's probably making them really feel like crap.

My biggest struggle with carbs is in the morning because I'm not hungry then but I need to eat so I can take my pills. And for the BG stability. So I often have some crackers to start me off. I know it's not a good idea because we are more sensitive to carbs in the morning. I might investigate low-carb tortillas and see how that goes. I've been leery of low-carb substitutes, but breakfast has been tough because of my food allergies and the no-appetite thing. It might be the lesser of two evils at this point. I will also look for some lower-carb crackers to replace the saltines. And I might even try baking with some coconut flour.

I had myself a good cry earlier and feel better now. Thanks for the support and encouragement.

I would have told her how few carbs you are actually eating. It seems like you are trying hard so be good to yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I would have told her how few carbs you are actually eating. It seems like you are trying hard so be good to yourself.
    Oh, don't do that -- it drops the needle in her "ketogenic is dangerous" groove, which segues into the "you can't sustain that diet" tune. I tangled with my "diabetes educator" in the first hour of class, announcing I was managing my BG with a low-carbohydrate/high-fat diet, and was patronized for the entire class. Forget her. She has her job to do; you have yours. It's your diabetes, not hers (though my DE was T2 and probably will wonder in another 10-15 years why she feels so bad all the time).

Yeah, saltines are not a great choice -- highly processed. If you can eat them, you'd do better with whole-grain crackers. Or, better, a recipe for keto crackers (or muffins or whatever). Maybe cauliflower-crust bread sticks (though I don't remember if cheese is off your list). Would it be easier to drink something like a smoothie or maybe some hemp milk or something like that?

Don’t listen to me)

I’m listening along in this thread finding it quite 1) informative and 2) sad. I’m a nurse so I get the whole thing about the healthcare system being less than helpful at times. I’m married to a diabetic (probably type 2 but we’ve stopped dividing it into two types latedly - he was diagnosed after age 45 and takes Janumet), and I observe his experience second hand. Helping where I can, but letting this be his thing to make choices about. After 40 years of asthma and allergies, I’m not about to micromanage someone else’s challenge - god knows I’ve had my share of ridiculous input from the peanut gallery on why asthma is my fault and/or why it’s all in my imagination etc.

My husband has lowered his A1C down into the 6.5 - 6.8 range over time. He started at about 8. He eats moderat amounts, tries to avoid simple carbs when possible, but does not count them. His key to success has been his job for the past 5 years, which involves walking 7-12 miles a day, 4 days a week. He has been able to lose about 30 pounds and his sugars responded well to that. Prior to this job, he ride pedicab which also helped with things, but the work more sporadic and sometimes overwhelming strenuous for a week and then nothing for several weeks. The walking job as an outdoor downtown Phoenix ambassador is more consistent and a little less hard on his 59 year old joints.

I maintain a mindset of acceptance and no blame toward him. It’s so easy for those with chronic illnesses to blame themselves, and the medical establishment will join right in with their shameful agreement. It pisses me off royally.

I guess my point here is to apologize for the high horse that many in our medical system sit upon. And to reiterate that no illness requires a dose of shame for anyone. Between the two of us I deserve the diabetes as I love sugar. But his genetics tipped him into it while mine continues to protect me from it.

I’m impressed with anyone who knows their own body and does what they can to care for them self.

Tammy, this place needs a Like button... Thank you.

Tammy I cannot believe anyone would say those things about asthma. People die every year from it. My son got it at 1 and outgrew it by 12. Mine was diagnosed at 50. I can usually get off of my medications for the winter but not this year. I have been having a bad time as are some of my friends with it. No clue what’s different this winter.

Thread Information