Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Treating Diabetes with a Low-Carb diet

Great progress !!!

Glad to hear your good news Geila! I am always delighted at the helpful information sharing that goes on here, and I'm glad to be a part of this community.

Geila
    3-month update:

Just got back some of my lab results and my A1c has gone from 12.7 to 5.9! My fasting glucose was 98. And my liver tests (ALT & AST) are both back in the normal range. I'm still waiting on one more test for my kidneys and the follow-up on the bacterial infection. But for now, I am very happy.

If my kidney test comes out well, I will be able to eliminate the very low dose (2.5 mg per day) of blood pressure med I'm on right now. Apparently lisiniprol treats BP and protects the kidneys and since I had signs of kidney damage, the dr. wants to make sure that's okay before removing it. I hope that's the case because the med is giving me periods of light-headedness every day and my BP is pretty good now.

The only other med I'm on is a low dose of metformin, which I will stay on for now. From all accounts, it offers some good benefits and I don't have any adverse side effects on it - I take the extended release form. My weight loss continues to be quite slow, so I'm anticipating staying on the metformin until I can achieve a healthy weight, which might take upwards of a year at the rate I'm going.

But overall I feel that I'm on a good trajectory and that I can achieve a normal A1c on the next test.

p.s. my lipid panels were back in the normal range a couple of months ago, so they were not tested this time.

Wonderful news!

Low carb plans have crept into mainstream diabetes care protocols lately, probably to the dismay of pharma. You're living proof that they work.

Excellent, Geila! Congratulations for making it work and keeping it going!
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Geila
    Kidney test results came in and my kidneys are healthy again! And, no more BP medicine.

Great news!

Thread Information