Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My bathroom vanity is not sparking joy

My bathroom vanity is not sparking joy

The last fix-up to this house is a 5 x 8 bathroom upstairs. It is functional but bu--ugly and the 30 yr old vanity is way too short. Who knew though that bath vanities are now ridiculously shoddy and equally expensive. The affordable big box ones are literally pressed sawdust with plastic conglomerate tops made to look like stone. I am keeping my eye on craigslist etc but any ideas are welcome on where to find a solid, reasonably priced small bath vanity. Looking is driving me nuts.

I have seen nice wooden ones when I working at IKEA. Here is another all wood vanity:

https://www.signaturehardware.com/48...gaAjUYEALw_wcB

We bought ours at Home Depot and the top is granite.

At least with IKEA you're not paying a lot compared to the big-box home-improvement store vanities of similar quality. And they use nice hardware on their cabinet-type pieces. IKEA would be worth a look.

Another option might be outlet stores. Menard's has one (if you live in Wisconsin) but there's also a chain here called MN Home Outlet that takes returns/overstocks/discontinueds/etc. from the big-box stores and marks them down significantly. I would imagine there are similar chains in other metro areas because I can't see a store trucking all this heavy stuff from HD, Lowe's, and Menard's across the country.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

We went to a local lumber store, that also does kitchens and baths. I didn't like the quality of the Home Depot/Lowe's ones- particularly after I read the reviews of ones that arrived broken. We bought a floor model that they were trying to get rid of at a really good price.

If you're really handy, you can make a vanity out of any piece of furniture after you cut out a hole for the sink and holes in the back for the plumbing.

Tea
    When mine had to be replaced, I got a nice ceramic vanity top for cheap at the Habitat for Humanity Re-Store, and built a cabinet myself to set it on. They also had some that were complete with the cabinet.

Quote Originally Posted by Tea View Post
    When mine had to be replaced, I got a nice ceramic vanity top for cheap at the Habitat for Humanity Re-Store
    There is some amazingly nice stuff at ReStores, but I've learned that different ReStores in an area carry different lines. The one in the next town is good for things like bathroom vanities and pretty terrible at raw materials (PVC pipe, handrails, etc.). A lot of the items there also are rather, umm, "retro" -- but sometimes that's exactly what you want.

Come to think of it, the vanity top in our main bathroom (I believe the euphemism is "cultured marble") came from a ReStore, replacing an absolutely horrendous-looking circa-1970s green-veined top that vaguely resembled a cheap blue cheese. It has performed yeoman's service years after installation.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

I've seen some really beautiful bathroom vanities made from vintage dressers. The ones that were well made of real wood seem to work out beautifully. Some have the wood top preserved and sealed, others have granite put on. Drawer fronts are preserved for interest, often the bottom drawer is really in use. Take a look at Pinterest.

[Steve, I replaced my range hood from ReStore, $15 for a 30 in. hood. Looked brand new, no box of course.]
    Last edited by mschrisgo2; 1-26-19 at 2:21am. Reason: clarity

If you do a search for wood vanity or solid wood vanity there are several places you can purchase from if you don't mind buying furniture online.

Thread Information