Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Finally really looking for a new job

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    Come home to Michigan!

Our lakes are unsalted, frequently frozen.

It is so beautiful up here--we used to live where you live now and I know that area very well. Your life will improve so much up here!
    Are you in Alpena?

I have a magnetic sign on my car - “Great Lakes: unsalted and shark free.”

No jobs up there for what I do. I need to be in relatively large areas.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    Are you in Alpena?

I have a magnetic sign on my car - “Great Lakes: unsalted and shark free.”

No jobs up there for what I do. I need to be in relatively large areas.
    Traverse City.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    Traverse City.
    Ah! I was in Alpena in the early 90s.

I feel for you, Tradd. Some work environments are abominable. I'm in a toxic situation myself and just trying to stay with it until the end of this contract. I do think you should be documenting on your home computer. Reaming people out in front of others is abusive, and it's against the law. Of course, getting that law enforced is a whole 'nother story, but you might want to be in a position to at least report their abusive asses.

GREAT that you are taking care of your physical health. When you walk into an office looking fit and strong it can make a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel View Post
    I feel for you, Tradd. Some work environments are abominable. I'm in a toxic situation myself and just trying to stay with it until the end of this contract. I do think you should be documenting on your home computer. Reaming people out in front of others is abusive, and it's against the law. Of course, getting that law enforced is a whole 'nother story, but you might want to be in a position to at least report their abusive asses.

what law is this, exactly?

Doesn't the company need you because of your certifications/credentials? Aren't they going to have a tough time if they fire you?

It's possible that someone is trying to get you to quit, because they can't outright fire you. But if you quit, then they can bring in someone they like better. I'm envisioning them championing Golden Girl for your position, and the havoc that would create.

I do think you should get out of there. Sounds very like a situation I was in once. When I announced my two-week notice, they were stunned. Turns out they wanted to demote me and promote a favorite to my position. (They didn't want to get rid of my entirely, because the favorite couldn't do most of the work I did.) I was eventually replaced by two people, because one person couldn't do the amount of work I did. I'm much happier now.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Cellaneous View Post
    Doesn't the company need you because of your certifications/credentials? Aren't they going to have a tough time if they fire you?

It's possible that someone is trying to get you to quit, because they can't outright fire you. But if you quit, then they can bring in someone they like better. I'm envisioning them championing Golden Girl for your position, and the havoc that would create.

I do think you should get out of there. Sounds very like a situation I was in once. When I announced my two-week notice, they were stunned. Turns out they wanted to demote me and promote a favorite to my position. (They didn't want to get rid of my entirely, because the favorite couldn't do most of the work I did.) I was eventually replaced by two people, because one person couldn't do the amount of work I did. I'm much happier now.
    Well, they’d have to hire someone else who is a licensed broker. Here’s the kicker with Golden Girl. She can’t do it. She’s not a US citizen! You have to be a citizen to even take the exam. The supervisor was really talking it up to her on Friday and Golden Girl said she wanted to do it. You should have seen the look on her face when I said you had to be a US citizen. I laughed inside.

And yes, they would have a very tough time. I’m the only one in the office who knows how to do the EPA, FDA, ATF entries. I’ve tried to show them. They’ve keep saying they don’t have time.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    I’ve tried to show them. They’ve keep saying they don’t have time.
    As soon as you give your notice, that brain dump will be Priority 1. (Don't ask me how I know this.)
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Tradd, just a thought. You have the skills, the experience and the history. Rather than a new job, have you considered getting some advice on how to approach such a situation to turn it around. I ask because I didn't think of doing this when I was in a challenging situation. Looking back, some skill development on how to retake control of my work setting would have made a big difference.

Bullies can be managed but most people have not developed the skills to do so. It is a learnable skill. The company is benefiting from your knowledge, experience and expertise. You have powerful bargaining power. Please think about this and seek a mentor who can advise you on the optional approaches open to you in the current work setting.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Thread Information