Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Finally really looking for a new job

The export guy got let go last Monday. They said his position was eliminated due to not enough business.

GM's last day was Friday.

Due to export guy being gone, I've been told I WILL learn export. Mind you, the last time I did anything with export was the early 2000s. That was ocean. I never did air. And export air freight is so different these days due to security issues. I was handed an export account already. It's something we do for another office, that involves inspection by a Fed agency before export. Always flies out of our city, so it's done in our warehouse. It's simple enough and I'm already used to dealing with that Fed agency. It's just one more thing on top of everything else I'm expected to do.

I discovered when I came in today that the manager and supervisor had gone through my file cart where active stuff lives and went through everything. I got pounded today for the number of new shipments that we don't have specific sailing information for. I handle a customer that has a lot of hazardous cargo. It can take 4-6 weeks to get the required approval from the ocean carrier, vessel captain, etc. I'm checking in weekly with my counterparts at origin to get updates. That's not good enough for manager and supervisor. I'm supposed to be emailing DAILY. What a waste of time. When I responded to their email about it, telling them I'd go through the files tomorrow and send emails as needed, manager blasted me, "UNACCEPTABLE." Supervisor said "we could be making money off those shipments." Like I'm purposely not letting these shipments get on a ship?

I'm taking nearly all of my 3+ weeks of vacation time this year. Several longer weekends and 2 week long vacations.

Just more of "making do with less" and we're supposed to have NO OT at all. I ran from 8-noon, and both manager/supervisor were peppering me with questions on and off during lunch. Then it was head long again from 1-5.

Tradd,
    I feel for you. Seems like your experience and certifications would go a long way in getting a job in another area. Would these latest events make you consider a relocation? I hate to see good hard-working people get jacked around in their workplace.

Yppej
    Is this worse because everyone is afraid of a trade war? Or are competitors gaining ground, that a layoff was needed? It keeps getting worse for you, and these events are beyond your control which they should realize.

Much cargo that would have shipped first quarter this year came in before the end of the year as people were trying to beat the increase to 25% duty for stuff from China that people were trying to avoid. So Jan, Feb, March were quieter than normal. The troublesome customer that the Golden Girl was given is very seasonal. It was being implied that the no shipments from them was my fault, but I told them to pull a report to look at their shipping patterns going back years. I was able to prove March through May is their slowest time. They are very seasonal and Halloween is the next holiday.

Even though it’s been slower shipment wise, there’s still been plenty to do. I’m continually being blamed for things I have little control over. They do this with everyone. The Golden Girl and 2nd favorite made errors on customs clearances last summer that resulted in shipments being released but not going on the statement from custom that gets duties paid. That results in notices and fines from customs. I didn’t train them. The supervisor did. All I can do is point out what they have to watch out for and if they get X electronic response from customs, then you have to do Y. Manager constantly hammers me that if I was properly auditing entries then I would catch this stuff. Corporate compliance has only said to audit 10% of customs clearances. Manager doesn’t seem to get that even if I had the time to properly audit, there is no guarantee I would be looking at the files with problems.

Just yesterday I got an notice from a customer (late duties payment notices go to importers) that something from last year hadn’t had duties paid. I researched it and showed things were paid timely. Went to corporate compliance person in email with my proof duties HAD been paid, asking for help as I couldn’t figure out his duties were late when they had been paid on time. Manager started after me about it without even reading the email. She’s quite the one for jumping to conclusions and gets pissed if I attempt to defend myself. Sometimes I don’t even try.

We've got giant Pacific octopuses up here in the PNW. Just thought I'd mention that.

Sounds like management is running scared. Amazing to me they dont realize that their constant interruptions cause you to have less time to work on the money making cases.

I would leave the building for lunch so they cannot bother you.

Thread Information