Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Finally really looking for a new job

Finally really looking for a new job

The past year or so has been awful. There has been so much that has happened, but I've not posted about it because, well, there's just so much!

Manager and supervisor are bullies. There's no other way to put it. They think nothing of reprimanding people in front of others in a departmental meeting. When I pointed it out in a private meeting, I was told they did it because they wanted the others to not do the same things wrong.

I pretty much can't do anything right. There will be situations where they immediately say I'm in the wrong, complete with scathing emails. When I show proof that the situation is completely opposite of their jump to conclusions, there are no apologies for raking me over the coals.

I'm doing more customs related stuff than transportation now, which is good, but the additional customs stuff is for someone else (The Golden Girl) who does the transportation side for these customers. If she gives me customs clearances to do, I MUST have them done the same day. Non negotiable. If I can't for whatever reason, I have to document why. There was something the past few days I couldn't get cleared due to incorrect info from an airline. I spent so much time on it. My stuff got pushed to the side. They don't care. If I can't get stuff done, it's my problem. They don't care why. The fact that I had issues I was spending tons of time on doesn't even come into play with them.

The end of the workday today was the last straw that's starting me to seriously look for something else. The Golden Girl has to do some billing for the first time on a customer I used to handle the transportation on. She decides to come to me right at 5 as I'm getting my coat on. I had somewhere to get to. She literally shakes files in my face and demands I help her with them. My computer was already shut down (I'd have to look up information to help) and I was already punched out (we have to punch in and out online). I'm struggling with all my layers and asked if we could do it Monday as I had somewhere to be. She was not happy.

Went out to my car and was just driving away when manager calls. She reams into me for not being "nicer" and why wouldn't I help The Golden Girl. I told manager I had plans and why was it OK for The Golden Girl to decide she needed help at 5pm on a Friday. I'm told "that doesn't matter" and she as she took a breath to start in on me again, I simply said "goodbye" and hung up.

Mind you, The Golden Girl is almost always out the door right at 5. She has a 3 year old kid and is always running out the door to get him from daycare. I've tried to ask her something before at 4:55pm and she's told me she can't, has to go get her son. Yet, when she decides she wants help at 5pm, I'm supposed to bend over backwards?

At this point, things are so bad that I might end up getting fired before I find something else, but if I don't find anything, I'll ride this pony as long as I can for the money.

I don't have to do just customs brokerage stuff. I'm qualified to do global trade compliance. The only move I might consider making is back to Michigan, where I'm from. I love my Great Lakes diving, so I'm not going to move from here.

It's kind of funny that things are going so well with diving right now - my confidence and skills have improved by leaps and bounds, while things have gone to heck in a handbasket at work.

Sorry to read that the situation at work is so challenging. Hope that better circumstances come your way soon.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Oh that sounds terrible and familiar. And it sucks. You seem to have your head about you pretty well, and a good idea that it won't solve it if you do understand what is happening. What is so freakin' wrong with people! Explaining that something is impossible makes no difference, I have literally been in that conversation. Hard to believe if you haven't lived it. It seems like there are very few good workplaces,

YES! go get another job, anything that pays reasonably what you need. From here they find things you do wrong, document the crap out of it, and can bring your references down. You know so much, have a lot of skills and qualifications, I am seeing you get into something really great. However the process can really be brutal.

Share whatever you need to in the process, here or by PM if you want

Thanks, ZG! I looked at a few job listings this evening, but I'm just going to put it aside until Sunday. I'm going to work on the very interesting bookwork for a diving class later in the summer. I just need to decompress (LOL - diving pun, too! ) and spend all day in bed tomorrow with my books (very cold here). I'm so glad I have the diving to focus on outside of work. This time of year, there's no diving here in the Great Lakes, so unless you go somewhere tropical, it's working out, the occasional pool session (once a month), and planning dives for the next season.

I've not been at the gym much because of the "New Year warriors" who show up in January into February. Can't get on the machines or in the pool. So I workout at home and do weight work with my dumbbells. I'm up to 12lbers now! Starting to see some really nice definition in my upper arms. I can do squats with dumbbells in hand, that doesn't hurt my knees, and I'm beginning to really see the benefits. Knees hurt less and I walk much better.

Definitely time to find the doorway out. So sad that they took a job you used to enjoy and at which you seemed to excel and turned it into ... this.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Yes they are being asshats!

Yppej
    Even if they fire you, you can most likely collect unemployment so long as you don't have attendance issues and do not commit any crimes like assaulting another employee or embezzling money. Good luck with your search.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Even if they fire you, you can most likely collect unemployment so long as you don't have attendance issues and do not commit any crimes like assaulting another employee or embezzling money. Good luck with your search.
    That's another reason I'm going to ride this pony as long as I can.

Come home to Michigan!

Our lakes are unsalted, frequently frozen.

It is so beautiful up here--we used to live where you live now and I know that area very well. Your life will improve so much up here!

Thread Information