Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: So Did Trump Cave? Is he weakened?

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    He's weakened by his plummeting poll showing, which is probably what turned the tide--that and the growing rebellion among TSA and air traffic controllers. We were this close to a shutdown of our airspace. Trump has never been known for his compassion, whether for disabled reporters, asylum seekers, or anyone else. His tone-deaf musings on government employees and their creditors was as thoughtful (and unintentionally hilarious) as it gets. Lately, he has been showing concern about apocryphal sex trafficking victims with painter's tape over their mouths--over, and over, and over, like it's a favorite fantasy of his.
    That bit about aviation safety? Truly scared and continues to scare me (current tense due to the seeming inevitability of another shutdown come 2/15). As I've stated before, I live very close to the Phoenix Airport - not the busiest but one of the busier US airports - and many of my neighbors work at the airport in some capacity. So I'm more in tuned with aviation issues than you might think. And all my airport working neighbors I spoke to? All were and still are concerned about a preventable aviation disaster taking place due to Trump and his inablity to see the big picture and his inablity to understand that his decisions cause human collateral damage and in this case, a slight risk of mass loss of life for no real reason (TSA agents spread too thin to prevent contraband from getting on to a plane and air traffic controllers spread too thin also, one mistake in this area can quickly mean large losses of life). Rob

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Do you mean the one that was ruled unconstituional by a FEDERAL court? Like, it isnt in effect? Like, it doesnt have power over women’s bodies? Is that the one you mean?

since we are ultimately talking about federal action, that is a good example. Thank you for playing.
    I will google after lunch service and after the major breakdown of the event is done and see if I am indeed not up to speed on the Alabama decision. I posted of the last I knew and I've been very busy lately - it's just about peak season here for Conventions. So it could be that I'm not up to speed on this one decision and if so, I will educate myself once things slow down today. Fair enough, IL. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    I will google after lunch service and after the major breakdown of the event is done and see if I am indeed not up to speed on the Alabama decision. I posted of the last I knew and I've been very busy lately - it's just about peak season here for Conventions. So it could be that I'm not up to speed on this one decision and if so, I will educate myself once things slow down today. Fair enough, IL. Rob
    It is my general impression that state legislatures are constantly working on laws to chip away at abortion rights laid out in Roe V Wade. They do that because their constituency wants that. The power for abortion right lays in state legislature (see recent NewYork State law) not at the Federal level. Roe V Wade recognized the state’s right to enact legislation on this topic, and it limited what states can do.

Courts appropriately say “naw, no deal buddy” to some of these state laws. Just because this Alabama action took place in 2018 yoiu are ramping up the Trump fear factor, but this stuff has been going on since 1973. Congrats for falling for fear mongering.

I stopped giving to Planned Parenthood because I was so annoyed that they kept using George Bush as their boygeyman in their phone solitication. It was unsophisticated fund raising on their part and I felt like they were treating me as a half wit. Truly, if they wanted to put forth a bogeyman I might have recognized, they could have named any number of Missouri legislators, but their one size fits all was just easy for them.

People will keep saying that Roe v Wade isn't going to fall and therefore none of these state attempts matter. Until Roe falls. If Individual 1 gets one more supreme court justice approved it won't just be a distant hypothetical anymore.

Feelings and emotion have been part of politics from pretty much the dawn of civilization. I doubt you could even run a viable democracy on mere factuality. But I think that right now the feeling/factuality mix is running a bit rich. The Kavanaugh confirmation seemed to me to be more about emotional reactions to a sort of narrative than any particular facts of the accusations against one particular man. The President seems only to deal in facts when he contradicts himself.

We indict people based on emotionally charged symbols, and substitute indictment for argument. Show some people a picture of a kid in a red hat, and thatÂ’s all they need to know. Likewise a kneeling football player. Social media only accelerates the process of transmitting feelings broadly.

I donÂ’t know at what point not believing someoneÂ’s feelings have a strong basis in fact becomes dismissal. IÂ’m sure it does if youÂ’re cavalier enough about it. But we live in a culture with such a swirl of contradictory feelings and beliefs itÂ’s probably impossible to respect them all. I might feel abortion to be a horrific evil. You might consider it to be a sacred right.
    That difference may never be resolved at a rational level. ThatÂ’s why I think itÂ’s foolish to treat politics as a substitute for religion, with eternal verities.

It's not a surprise that opinions about Kavanaugh are based on emotion not facts. The republicans were afraid to let the facts be brought to light. And then they wonder why their support among women have crashed and burned so spectacularly.

Williamsmith
    For my money, the root cause of all this angst and anger hangs directly around the neck of Hillary Clinton as a result of her “for the ages” choke in the last election. Had she won, you all would be some of the cheeriest guys and gals this side of the International Date Line. Trump has merely given you a convenient target upon which to heap your grieving bodies upon with wailing and gnashing of teeth worthy of an Academy Award. 2020 is coming, and you all should be busy planning how you will make it to 2024 without causing yourselves an aneurysm or stroke. Your lives can’t possibly be as full of speculative media bull crap as is reflected here.

I am celebrating a possible end to the War in Afghanistan after seventeen years, speaking of caves.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    It's not a surprise that opinions about Kavanaugh are based on emotion not facts. The republicans were afraid to let the facts be brought to light. And then they wonder why their support among women have crashed and burned so spectacularly.
    Yes. They should never have sat on that letter from the accuser for so long, producing it only when expedient. If they hadn’t there would have been more time to pore over high school yearbooks.

Yes, they should have allowed a full FBI investigation once the accusations came to light. Since they didn't we'll never know the truth beyond the fact that he has committed perjury multiple times and made it abundantly clear that he has no interest in being an impartial jurist.

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    For my money, the root cause of all this angst and anger hangs directly around the neck of Hillary Clinton as a result of her “for the ages” choke in the last election. Had she won, you all would be some of the cheeriest guys and gals this side of the International Date Line.
    Not really. The choice last time around was between two nixon republicans. One for his policies. One for his criminality.

Thread Information