Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: So Did Trump Cave? Is he weakened?

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    It's not just women that feel threatened under this Regime - as a gay man, I feel very much threatened, too. And though I'm a bit into Men's Rights these days, my take personally is that were I female, on a logical basis, i'd feel threatened by the Trump Regime, too. I can totally see this and understand this. Rob
    Well then can you verbalize exactly what makes you feel threatened?
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Not to pile on, but I had the same thought and wish to know which woman freedoms have been reduced or even threatened to be reduced?

Thios is one of the areas where there doesnt seem to be a meeting of the minds of two sides because
    I cannot grok what Miss C means. Despite pussy hat rhetoric and those optics (which were actually pretty funny, and effective as I look back on it) I do not understand the actual, verifiable, threats to women’s rights carried out by the federal government. Yes it is all great theater to protest in pink hats, but what is being protested?

Pretend I am an Aspie ( which I suppose I am, a tiny bit) and speak to me in specific terms about literal happenings.
    I believe - and ladies, if I am wrong, I won't hold it against you if you choose to illuminate me - that women are worried regarding an overturn of Roe vs. Wade. That and the extreme disrespect he has shown to women over time......I may be into Men's Rights but I also understand that when a political figure makes it as high up as Donald J Trump has - when such a figure is disrespectful towards one half of society, that one half of society will dish out consequences. In a way it's no different from how much of the 85006 feels about America. Treat a neighborhood poorly, and that neighborhood will dish out consequences. Same basic concept at least in my mind. Rob

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Well then can you verbalize exactly what makes you feel threatened?
    Disrespect for anyone who doesn't fit in with his narrative. The transgendered military issue. His over the top lack of filter and of verbal impulse control - his alienation of other countries formerly considered warm allies of the US (how this last fits in as I learned from Holocaust survivors and from my own Mother) - when a political figure goes over the top in any way shape or form repeatedly, trust nothing and have bags packed and cash saved to run and be prepped to run at a moment's notice. Having former allies hate the US does diminish running options (though this last one is certainly not gay specific).

Fear of an overturn of the legality of same sex marriage and fear of the wear and tear on myself fighting this would mean - and I would drop everything and dedicate my life to the fight against this should such happen - both for moral and ethical reasons, and also for a better shot at political asylum elsewhere. Yes, that's right, just seeing an image of Donald J Trump or even hearing him speak makes me wonder if my life is to soon be uprooted and if so, how can I work it so there's the best moral, ethical, and practical outcome? Your President, not mine, truly is that disliked and feared by a large swatch of America. Rob

Rob, nailed it with abortion and birth control freedom, transgender and gay issues/marriage.

This seems to be a recurring theme, what exactly makes women feel threatened under this administration?
    The attacks on abortion rights and access to birth control.

Allowing an accused sexual predator on the Supreme Court without an adequate investigation of the charges.

Trump's statement that women who get abortions should be charged as criminals. He backtracked, but he said it.

The state of Ohio wanting the death penalty for women who have abortions. (Hey, what about the man who made the woman pregnant? Shouldn't he get the death penalty as well?)

The ruling that California "crisis centers" that are really anti-abortion propaganda centers do not have to clearly state that they are anti-abortion.

The reaction of parents about their son's safety when the victims of sexual assaults start to be believed instead of dismissed. "I'm telling my son to never be alone with a girl. That's the only way he'll be safe from false accusations." False accusations, although they are not common, have been around for forever. What's changed is that now there is a better chance of the victim being believed. But we should worry more about the men who are accused, and not the victims?

The ease with which men deny the truth of a woman who has been sexually assaulted. It's just instant denial, or "she was asking for it." Otherwise intelligent, sensible men just have a weird blind spot on this.

The defense's questioning of Taylor Swift during her trial. Just Google it.

Recent court rulings that allow sexual predators to get off basically scot free. https://www.washingtonpost.com/educa...=.a98f5cad3193 https://wpde.com/news/local/no-jail-...n-myrtle-beach https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.2028d6fe7d51 Those are just the first three results that popped up when I Googled "rapist who didn't go to jail." There's lots more. These are convicted rapists. Who did not go to jail.

It's just an overall, pervasive atmosphere that women's rights are not important. That women are second class citizens. That men should control women's bodies. That government, both state and federal, is trying to limit our choices, limit our rights.

I'm not surprised that men haven't noticed any of this. None of this impinges on their day-to-day lives. But do not casually dismiss this just because you do not see it or understand it. Trust me, women are completely fed up with their concerns being dismissed by men because the men don't have the same concerns and therefore claim nothing is really wrong. If it's a reoccurring theme, if many, many women are saying this--go out on a limb. Believe the women.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Rob, nailed it with abortion and birth control freedom, transgender and gay issues/marriage.
    No he didn't. There is no danger of Roe vs Wade being overturned, although there is hope that the rights of the unborn may be taken seriously at some point and that is not specific to this administration. There is no danger of women losing birth control although there is some question of whether or not society owes every woman free birth control and that pre-dates this administration as well. Gay marriage is safe and doesn't seem to be on anyone's political radar. Transgender military issues do persist but I think that is a nuanced discussion point that everyone prefers to see in a straightforward way as if everyone has a right to a specific job or career path at public expense.

I'm interested in hearing real reason to feel threatened.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I'm interested in hearing real reason to feel threatened.
    No you're not.

Addressing only the title of this thread. 1. Did Trump cave? Depends on perspective, if you like him or not. If you hate Trump then he caved, Pelosi scored a victory and Schumer did a dance. If you like Trump then he showed compassion on the federal employees and reopened the government, he forfeited the battle but has not surrendered the war. 2. Is he weakened? Again depends on perspective. If you do not like Trump then of course he is weakened because he gave in. If you like Trump then showing compassion toward federal employees is a strength and what is seen as caving is actually a strategic move. We shall see.

Alan, you may not care about the rights I mentioned but many people do. Although I am generally not in favor of late term abortions there are instances where a baby will die after birth and suffer tremendously because of it’s disease. A baby born with severe brittle bone disease breaks every bone in its body being born and dies shortly after. The unborn don’t have rights until they are born. They cannot live outside the body and the woman should make decisions about her body.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Alan, you may not care about the rights I mentioned but many people do.
    Where would you get an idea like that? We may disagree about the nature of rights and what is a right or what is not but it seems rather condescending to suggest a disagreement equals not caring, don't you think?

Thread Information