Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: What movies are you watching in 2019?

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    I had pretty much the identical reaction, and yeah, the first season was amazing. But it kind of felt like I was falling into a dark hole and I had to get out.

My favorite of this genre is the movie It Happened Here from 1964:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxeTSFSWMLY

Terrifying. An amazing movie, by two kids, aged 16 and 18 when they started it-- from Amazon's review of Brownlow's book about making the movie:

"How It Happened Here tells the story of the making of a film and the subsequent reception that the film received and the controversy and alarm that it stirred up when it was first released. The film-makers were two teenagers (18 and 16) and they started out with no budget and a borrowed 16 mm camera. The project took 8 years to complete. Part of the book is a humorous and detailed account of how the boys overcame all the practical and financial hurdles of amateur film making and saw the project through to completion and national release. This in itself would qualify the book as a thoroughly entertaining read and a sound basis for a course in film making or media studies of any kind. But this was no ordinary film. Kevin and his co-director Andrew Mollo took as their theme the "what if?" idea of a conquered and occupied England, after a hypothetical defeat and invasion following the Dunkirk retreat."
    interesting! That film is cataloged on Amazon prime but it’s not available through Prime. Keep an eye out for it

I haven't gone out of my way to see a movie in some time, but I've just finished the 4th and final season of The Man In The High Castle. I've loved everything about the series so far, the story line, the richly drawn characters, the photography, setting and excitement of seeing what might have been. But boy the final scene confused me, I could use another episode where it's explained.
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I watched season 1 of that plus some episodes of the next season. The title sequences are great— they struck terror in my heart and set up the premise of the show well. I like the British actor Rufus Sewell. Several of the characters snd their situations were very interesting, such as the Japanese bureaucrats. I guess I stopped watching because it was scary and much like a war movie. Constant tension without any bits of humor as relief just made it too dark for me.
    Alan, no spoiler alerts, please! DH and I have watched 3 seasons and haven't watched the last yet. Is it over?? Ii thought it just started..

I really do like Rufus Sewell, also. He was great in this series, as were all of the actors. Really interesting premise. I didn't really mind the darkness because the idea was compelling.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Alan, no spoiler alerts, please! DH and I have watched 3 seasons and haven't watched the last yet. Is it over?? Ii thought it just started..
    I believe it became available last week but the entire season was immediately available for streaming. We've been binging since last evening.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I just watched the Mr. Rogers biopic. Wow! Good film. Really amazing!

A Beautiful Day In The Neighborhood is a lovely movie based on an actual situation where Fred Rogers, the icon in childrens' TV programming, helped a cynical journalist find reconciliation and peace. My kind of adult movie!
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I love Mr. Rogers. My kids were raised on him. I can't wait to see this movie. I've seen more cardigan-donning, tennis-shoe tossing scenes than I can count.

I heard a story once (can't verify how true it is) that his car was once stolen. Of course, the local press picked it up, and a couple of days later it was returned with a note: "Sorry. I didn't know it was YOUR car."
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I'm only barely conscious of Mr.Rogers. Always thought of him, in passing, as kind of smarmy, but I can tell Tom Hanks will do him justice.

Yppej
    Tyson. I was disappointed it didn't cover the ear biting incident.

80147529.jpg This documentary is an absolute delight as are the subjects, Harold and Lillian. I am in awe of his talent and she is a kick in the pants.

My oldest son who is 46 hated Mr. Rogers. He would get up from his nap and sit in his little rocking chair my mom bought and watch the electric company. Right after came Mr. Rogers and he would get up and stand in front of the TV yelling I don’t want to be your neighbor at 3. I would run over and turn off the TV. My other 2 kids loved him. The only kid who didn’t like him)

Thread Information