Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: What movies are you watching in 2019?

On the plane to Japan, where I'll be for 10 days, I watched The Wife with Glenn Close and Jonathan Pryce. The reason I mentioned my whereabouts was that this was NOT the movie for me to watch on an extended trip away from DH.

Has anyone seen it? I loved it. Man, maybe you have to be in a marriage for 40+ years to fully appreciate it, though, because when I read the reviews on Rotten Tomatoes, so many of the reviewers, whether they liked it or not, didn't get it (and the ones who hated it were men by a significant majority). To me the movie was about the complexity of relationships--especially those long ones that have experienced a few bumps and bruises along the way, and all the different ways and whys we give and take with the most intimate people in our lives.

In my life, one of my favorite marriage movies was Summer Soltice with Henry Fonda and Myrna Loy--you can't even find it anymore anywhere; The Wife was a close competitor.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I am hearing good things about a current film, A Marriage Story.

i have not seen the Glen Close film.

I am doing a Rodney Dangerfield film festival. (Never saw any of his films before.)

x Easy Money
    X CaddyShack Hey Everybody, We're all gonna get laid!
    X Meet Wally Sparks
    __ Back to School
    __ Natural Born Killer

I saw the Glenn Close movie. I found it depressing and disturbing as a sign of the times and what we were socialized to be as women.
    It's a good movie!

ETA: maybe I will check out the Meg Wallace novel, thanks for the suggestion. I am on library waiting list for The Good Liar.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    On the plane to Japan, where I'll be for 10 days, I watched The Wife with Glenn Close and Jonathan Pryce. The reason I mentioned my whereabouts was that this was NOT the movie for me to watch on an extended trip away from DH.
    You had me go look that up, as I had hoped that was a movie I saw a commercial for some time back. It wasn't.

There was a movie that I thought looked interesting, but never heard anymore about. A long time married couple, receives a letter, that they found the deceased girlfriend of the husband, from before he met his wife, and the issues that caused with them.

Off I went and after some searching, it was called, 45 years.

That was the one I confuse it with, too, ToomuchStuff. That was killer--really bravura performances in that one.

So, I'm watching Marriage Story right now, and not crazy about it. It's not about regular marriages. But I'll give it a chance. Seems almost like a spoof of Hollywood culture.

ETA half way through: Getting a little better--good performances from Ray Liotta and Shaun Wallace. Reminds me of Kramer vs. Kramer so far.

ETA2 This should have been called Divorce Story. Alan Alda is great... actors are great. But it's not like Summer Solstice or The Wife.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    So, I'm watching Marriage Story right now, and not crazy about it. It's not about regular marriages. But I'll give it a chance. Seems almost like a spoof of Hollywood culture.

ETA half way through: Getting a little better--good performances from Ray Liotta and Shaun Wallace. Reminds me of Kramer vs. Kramer so far.

ETA2 This should have been called Divorce Story. Alan Alda is great... actors are great. But it's not like Summer Solstice or The Wife.
    The movie I was talking about that I thought you were talking about when you mentioned The Wife (boy that is confusing) is not The Marriage Story. I never saw that one. It had another name--it was the movie or tv series about the guy whose wife realizes she is married to someone who had a first wife in Denmark or Germany. It is British. It is fantastic. It has very recognizable actors--and for the life of me I can't figure out the name. THAT is the one you need to see, if anyone can figure out the name.

They are getting older, and the kids put together a retirement celebration or something for them, or an anniversary celebration--it ends with them dancing??

Oh, doh!!! Toomuch stuff aready answered this oen--its 45 years--thank you so much! I am going to rewatch it, it's really, really good. Catherine, that is the one I was talking about--you'd like it.
    Last edited by Tybee; 12-12-19 at 8:30am. Reason: had a spoiler except can[t even remember if that was a spoiler or if that was my imagination! ouch

I saw A Marriage Story and it is very good. It shows the unraveling of a couple realistically. Adam Driver is very good, Scarlett Johannsen as well.

I agree catherine it should be called A Divorce Story since thats what it is about.

OK, it didn’t charm me and it won’t be a memorable movie, but some of us are so starved for high-quality dramatic films* that we will take anything and elevate it beyond what it should probably be.

I will look out for these other two movies mentioned about marriage.

* films that are not bio pics. Am avoiding those, just am tired of the genre.

Thread Information