Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: What movies are you watching in 2019?

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Mary Queen of Scots. Excellent movie. Loved it.
    I was SO VERY disappointed in it. The film seemed to straddle two major points of view without adopting either one or the other.

It had an interesting element of fantasy, but it also tried to be a straight bio pic.

I think, given past films made about her where we know her story, they could’ve emphasized the fantasy element more to make it more interesting. Too many characters in that film had too little screen time so why even bother with them? And rather than focusing so much time on Darnley, I would’ve taken Bothwell and blew him up big in the production because he is the interesting story. All of the homosexuals in the Stuart line of kings are interesting I suppose.I read that Guy Pearce was in this film yet I don’t even remember seeing him there were so many people having so little time on screen.

I found the casting of African-Americans, and Asian Lady in waiting, and etc. to be extremely jarring in a film that is, as I said, more straight bio than fantasy. Yet, that would’ve worked very very well to further the fantasy element, if that is what they emphasized. And of course by fantasy I am talking about the big scene at the end where she meets Queen Elizabeth I through the gauzzy curtain set. That never happened in real life, the two queens did not meet.

Catherine, I loved the movie too.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I was SO VERY disappointed in it. The film seemed to straddle two major points of view without adopting either one or the other.

It had an interesting element of fantasy, but it also tried to be a straight bio pic.

I think, given past films made about her where we know her story, they could’ve emphasized the fantasy element more to make it more interesting. Too many characters in that film had too little screen time so why even bother with them? And rather than focusing so much time on Darnley, I would’ve taken Bothwell and blew him up big in the production because he is the interesting story. All of the homosexuals in the Stuart line of kings are interesting I suppose.I read that Guy Pearce was in this film yet I don’t even remember seeing him there were so many people having so little time on screen.

I found the casting of African-Americans, and Asian Lady in waiting, and etc. to be extremely jarring in a film that is, as I said, more straight bio than fantasy. Yet, that would’ve worked very very well to further the fantasy element, if that is what they emphasized. And of course by fantasy I am talking about the big scene at the end where she meets Queen Elizabeth I through the gauzzy curtain set. That never happened in real life, the two queens did not meet.
    Interesting comments! I feel like we're doing a Siskel and Ebert. I gave it two thumbs up, you gave it two thumbs down.

Regarding your comments:
    I know what you're saying about the Darnley vs Bothwell and also the fantasy meeting at the end, but I think both of choices were made to support an underlying theme of how difficult it was during that time to navigate the waters of the Reformation--especially by TWO FEMALE MONARCHS!! We talk about glass ceilings and #MeToo movements... how about both Elizabeth and Mary having to deal with the likes of John Knox and the male warmongers who would not tolerate any diplomacy on the British Isles at that time.

I found the "royal cousins as a feminist sisterhood" theme really compelling. Elizabeth's line "I am a man now" was a counterpoint to Mary's more "feminine" approach--a desire to "know a man wholly" and her manipulating/seducing Darnley to satisfy the requirement for an heir to the throne to carry on the Stuart name.

I think the gauzy meeting at the end was a chance for the two queens to articulate what may have been in their hearts--if not in real life, it's a very plausible hypothesis.

And Mary was a martyr in fact, because she died and her son wound up being James IV of Scotland and James I of England. Done deal.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Woman in Gold.
    I watched that at home and didn’t pay tons of attention to it. For me that is one of the problems of at home watching there are too many distractions which is why I’d like to see films in the theater. Anyway, it was OK. Not great. The picture that is the focus of the film is quite wonderful

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Catherine, I loved the movie too.
    OK. What did you think of those casting choices then? What was that about? African Americans in the Scottish court of the 16th century? African Americans in the Kirks of Edinburgh in the 16th century? Asian ladies in waiting? What the actual foook was that about.

But really I want to know what did your husband says about that!

That kinda thing such as not staying true to the time period doesn’t bother me or my husband. I think we like different movies because you loved the Favorite.

But really I want to know what did your husband says about that!
    SO funny you say that. I'd love to tell you what he said but I can't.... I still strive to be somewhat PC on this forum. (But he's Scottish, he's Republican, and he's NOT PC. Just think of a cross between Archie Bunker and Billy Connolly.) So, in short, he agrees with you.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    SO funny you say that. I'd love to tell you what he said but I can't.... I still strive to be somewhat PC on this forum. (But he's Scottish, he's Republican, and he's NOT PC. Just think of a cross between Archie Bunker and Billy Connolly.) So, in short, he agrees with you.
    Ha ha, I knew what he thought about it before I asked.

Ha ha, I knew what he thought about it before I asked.
    Gosh, I wish we could have a couples night out together!

Yppej
    Since it's St Patrick's Day - Green Book.

Thread Information