Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: What movies are you watching in 2019?

Vinnie Tortorich's Fat. Not a bad documentary on the sad state of US nutrition, but nothing I didn't know.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    My daughter and I, both Tarantino fans, saw Once Upon A Time In Hollywood last night, and thought it was deeply flawed. We almost walked out several times out of boredom. Ending was nice, but the film could have easily been 20-30 mins shorter.
    I agree that it could have been shorter.

The Upside... I haven't laughed so hard in a while. Also, enjoyed 5 Feet Apart.

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    The Upside... I haven't laughed so hard in a while. Also, enjoyed 5 Feet Apart.
    The Upside is an American remake of a French film. I enjoyed the French version a few years ago. It starred that French actor who looks like Dustin Hoffman.

Taking DH to see Rambo this weekend. He really wants to see it, me not so much. But it's a small price to pay to make him happy. I'm looking forward to Downton Abbey and Judy.
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

I am aware of all of the films named in the top few posts and I don’t want to see any of them. Remakes and sequels, bios of long dead people who weren’t that interesting when alive, and comic book heroes are the subjects now. I am noping out of that stuff.

The best Dramatic productions being made are for television these days. I mentioned up thread the TV series Succession. I am now watching season 2 and it is even better than season 1. There was an episode where the nouveau riche Roy family went to visit olde money New England and it was some of the best TV made. A long dinner table scene was exquisite in discomfort and realness. Loved it.

The head writer won an Emmy this week for lines such as “Is there any booze here? (Said by a guest in a bedroom of the New England family) and the quip “ No, just Emily Dickinson and low thread count sheets!”

I am also catching up on the final season of Veep and it’s not as shiny and brilliant to me as it has been in the past. It is clear that the writers and characters have come to the end of their line. But I’m glad to see the group go out on a high note. The writing for that show used to be the best but Succession has overshot it I do love that Salinas and crew are tromping around Iowa, my old stomping grounds. She has her breakthrough presidential debate at Drake University, my alma mater.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 9-26-19 at 12:17pm.

Quote Originally Posted by beckyliz View Post
    I'm looking forward to Downton Abbey and Judy.
    Me, too. I'm a huge Judy Garland fan, and I've read great things about Renee Zellweger's performance.

Regarding Downton Abbey, I saw a teaser special on NBC last week with Derek Hough and it re-ignited what I loved about it when DH and I binge-watched a couple of years ago.

I'll probably go to the movies with DD to see Judy, but since DH stopped going to movie theaters, we'll wait to stream Downton Abbey.

We saw an oldie, Gran Torino, last week. It was a bit cloying and somewhat predictable, but Clint Eastwood gave a very good performance as well as the rest of the cast.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I don't have any form of pay tv at all, so I watch a lot of Pluto TV, Crackle and IMDb. Most of the movies, documentaries and shows are a little older, but most are new to me. Anyway, I watched Micheal Moore's "Canadian Bacon" last night. I haven't laughed out loud so much watching a movie in a long time.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

"One Day On Earth" - watching it right now - for the 3rd time. It evokes so many thoughts and emotions. We aren't so different from one another, and nobody is really any "better" than anyone else.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Went to see "All is true" about the last days of Shakespeare and the challenges within his family. It was OK.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Thread Information