Page 21 of 27 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading 2019?

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Where the Crawdads Sing
    I loved that one!

I'm reading Gone Tomorrow by Lee Childs. It's a Jack Reacher novel, light entertainment and a fast read.

An older personal finance book - Millionaire Women Next Door. I am finding it interesting - especially the chapter about how particular types of parenting enable daughters to have "successful" lives.

Now reading “The Crowded Hour” by Olay Risen. About Theodore Roosevelt organizing and leading the Rough Riders at the start of what some call “the American Century”.

Carl Sagan's daughter's new book - For Small Creatures Such as We. I like it!!

Yppej
    Give People Money about UBI.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Now reading “The Crowded Hour” by Olay Risen. About Theodore Roosevelt organizing and leading the Rough Riders at the start of what some call “the American Century”.
    I just finished, "Mornings on Horseback" by David McCullough. The timeline runs from Roosevelt's early family life, his days spent out west, his beginnings in politics, and pretty much ends right before the Rough Riders. It won the National Book Award some time ago. What an interesting upbringing and family. Raised by a wealthy philanthropist and basically home schooled until Harvard. I bookmarked your book for another day.

Looking for recommendations: Just finished the Netflix/AMC series "Turn" about General Washington's spies. It was great! We finished it last night. I highly recommend it, especially to history buffs. It's not entirely accurate--you need to research where they took poetic license, but it really provided great information and color to that aspect of the revolution.

It makes me want to read another book about the revolution. I read McCullough's 1776 and LOVED it. So, any suggestions?
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Has anyone read An Altar in the World by Barbara Brown Taylor? Did you like or dislike it? Why?

I read the first three chapters and wondered why it was recommended.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Catherine, we loved the series Turn.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    I just finished, "Mornings on Horseback" by David McCullough. The timeline runs from Roosevelt's early family life, his days spent out west, his beginnings in politics, and pretty much ends right before the Rough Riders. It won the National Book Award some time ago. What an interesting upbringing and family. Raised by a wealthy philanthropist and basically home schooled until Harvard. I bookmarked your book for another day.
    “Theodore Rex” is also pretty good. It’s interesting to read about a period when America was at best a third rate military power, and a political elite that still included a lot of Civil War veterans thought that was just fine. I don’t necessarily subscribe to the great man theory of history, but it’s interesting to see how personalities can make a difference.

Thread Information