Page 25 of 27 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 LastLast

Thread: What are you reading 2019?

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    I can't stand Anne Lamott-- so irritating, so pretentious. The kicker for me was when I read that she said God had told her to buy a VW new beetle in that light green color. Or maybe it was that the universe told her that deserved a VW new beetle. One or the other.
    I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels that way.. irritating...yes.

The green VW & God story reminds me of when the pastor of my church at the time (Presbyterian) literally said, on the pulpit, that she prayed to God for approval for her recent SUV purchase (or something like that). I couldn't believe it. That rivaled the time when she said, from the pulpit, that during her vacation, she was going to be replaced by a black visiting pastor, but that's OK--Black pastors can be good, too. When I asked her about that statement she said she had to set it up that way because there were some long-time founding members of the church who were a little racist and might be shocked when the Black pastor came out to preach. Wow. That insulted all of us, I think.

But getting back to Ann LaMott, I think she goes through her day trying to think of ways to weave brushing her teeth into a book. Clever, witty ways, of course.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels that way.. irritating...yes.

But getting back to Ann LaMott, I think she goes through her day trying to think of ways to weave brushing her teeth into a book. Clever, witty ways, of course.
    A lot of writers strike me that way; I don't need metaphors falling all over themselves to get the drift.

Yppej
    The Conscious Closet

Beyond Magenta. I have a transgender great-niece. She is about to turn 15y. I need to educate myself for the first time I see her this coming spring. Last time I saw him, was 2y ago. He was a cutter and I feared he might end is life. I'm grateful she has come to this with counseling.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    I can't stand Anne Lamott-- so irritating, so pretentious. The kicker for me was when I read that she said God had told her to buy a VW new beetle in that light green color. Or maybe it was that the universe told her that deserved a VW new beetle. One or the other.
    This cracks me up. It reminds me of the time my uber Christian hair stylist was car shopping and couldn't make up her mind. She said she had been praying on it for guidance and was still feeling conflicted. I told her that was why God created Consumer Reports.
    I did enjoy Lamott's earlier writings. Perhaps it was due to where I was in my life at the time. I do admire her wit even if I may not agree with the subject. I also admire anybody who overcomes their addictions by any manner.

I just finished We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves by Karen Joy Fowler.

It is a novel. Had I known the painful subject matter of this book, I would have avoided it. But the story lures you in and it isnt until you have completed the first third that you find out about the main character’s sister, who she is/what happened to her. The story is about the sister.

NO Spoilers! That is all I will say for anyone who wants to read it. I recommend it, I couldn't pit it down.

edited to add: I see that razz made a post about this book several years ago. It has spoilers, dont read it! But glad the book got love on this website. Gardener read it as well, and that’s where I got the reference.

sigh, there are only a small number of decent novels written every year. It is too much work to ferret them out!
    Last edited by iris lilies; 12-11-19 at 1:15pm.

Just finished The Body and started another Billy Bryson book called At Home. It is the history of shelter and all the rooms in our abodes. I find myself laughing out loud at some of his descriptions.

IL: You have me totally intrigued. I will have to get my hands on it. As an aside, I kind of think you would like The Dutch House by Ann Patchett.
    PT: I really like Bryson. I am slowly meandering through The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid by him. He really has a way with words and makes me laugh too!

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    IL: You have me totally intrigued. I will have to get my hands on it. As an aside, I kind of think you would like The Dutch House by Ann Patchett.
    PT: I really like Bryson. I am slowly meandering through The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid by him. He really has a way with words and makes me laugh too!
    I tried to finish that Scottish book about the two girls who buried their parents in their garden. It was too much of a slog. Sorry!

Yppej
    The Rules of Magic by Alice Hoffman

Thread Information