Page 7 of 27 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading 2019?

Yppej
    Slightly Out of Focus by WW2 photographer Robert Capa.

I just finished Need to Know by Karen Cleveland. I could NOT put it down and kept telling my husband about it! Also read the middle grade book Because of the Rabbit by Cynthia Lord which was also hard to put down. I've had a lot of duds lately so am happy to have a book I can't put down!

Quote Originally Posted by nswef View Post
    I just finished Need to Know by Karen Cleveland. I could NOT put it down and kept telling my husband about it! Also read the middle grade book Because of the Rabbit by Cynthia Lord which was also hard to put down. I've had a lot of duds lately so am happy to have a book I can't put down!
    NSWEF: I just ordered both of these books, so thanks for the recommendations. Need to Know sounds like something my MIL would really like, and Because of the Rabbit sounds like something my mom would love. I decided I would buy them so I could share around. I got good prices on eBay.

Yppej
    Are You Somebody? by Nuala O'Faolain
    Short Nights of the Shadow Catcher: The Epic Life and Immortal Photographs of Edward Curtis

Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood by Marjane Satrapi. A riveting autobiography of a girl growing up in Tehran during the late 70's/early 80's before and after the Islamic Revolution.

I finished "Educated" on Saturday. A phenomenal true story of a girl who finds her way from a nominal home school education through a PhD and the religous and family dynamics along the way.

I'm now reading the Challenger story. Who else remembers Jan 1986? Ugh.

Just finished "Becoming" by Michelle Obama and loved it. She is absolutely correct in that both of them conducted themselves in a gracious manner throughout their time at the White House and that is how they appeared on the international stage as well.

Quite remarkable how strong family support, an opportunity at good schools and a strong personal drive can make a human being bloom.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Julia Enders' Gut: the inside story of our body's most underrated organ. Good so far; fascinating subject.

Max Lucado's You'll Get Through This - Hope and Help for Turbulent Times. He uses the story of Joseph (he of the Technicolor Dream Coat) in the Bible to provide inspiration on getting through tough times.
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

Yppej
    Autobiography of a Face.

Thread Information