Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1624252627 LastLast

Thread: What are you reading 2019?

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I tried to finish that Scottish book about the two girls who buried their parents in their garden. It was too much of a slog. Sorry!
    I guess one woman's quick read is another woman's slog, sorry! Maybe you wouldn't like The Dutch House. The best book I read all year was A Map of the World, but that was published in the nineties.

Well, I didn’t hate it beyond all things. I made it 72% in, and who knows, may finish it some day.

Yppej
    Braving the Wilderness: The Quest for True Belonging and the Courage to Stand Alone

Rose City Free Fall, by DL Barbur, a police procedural set in Portland. I'm loving it, as the author seems to have a sure grip of both police work and the Rose City Ambience. It's an easy read that came to me via BookBub. I'll be reading the series. So refreshing not to have to force myself to read on, after the last couple of books.

Thanks Jane, I just went to look at it on Amazon and it was FREE for kindle. Wahooooo

Quote Originally Posted by Simplemind View Post
    Thanks Jane, I just went to look at it on Amazon and it was FREE for kindle. Wahooooo
    I'm building a prodigious Kindle library of free and cheap reads; I have enough books, in enough genres, to last me forever.

This is the Way It Always Is

A fictional sotry about a family whose 5th boy, at a very young age, decided he was a girl. It is well written and I enjoyed the story.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I just finished We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves by Karen Joy Fowler.

It is a novel. Had I known the painful subject matter of this book, I would have avoided it. But the story lures you in and it isnt until you have completed the first third that you find out about the main character’s sister, who she is/what happened to her. The story is about the sister.

NO Spoilers! That is all I will say for anyone who wants to read it. I recommend it, I couldn't pit it down.

edited to add: I see that razz made a post about this book several years ago. It has spoilers, dont read it! But glad the book got love on this website. Gardener read it as well, and that’s where I got the reference.

sigh, there are only a small number of decent novels written every year. It is too much work to ferret them out!
    I just finished this one and I loved it, although it broke my heart a bit. Thanks for the recommendation.

Rosa, thanks for the report! I am glad we could share this book. It is so sad, with a redemptive message in the end. Sort of.

Pride, Prejudice and other Flavors. Good fiction.

Thread Information