Page 14 of 27 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading 2019?

Finished "Radical Homemaker". Nearly done with "Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society".

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    It is not what I usually read but I like it.
    Thanks. I will have to check it out.

“Before We Were Yours” by Lisa Wingate. Could not put it down! Read the whole book in a day and a half, slept a few hours in the middle.

Quote Originally Posted by mschrisgo2 View Post
    “Before We Were Yours” by Lisa Wingate. Could not put it down! Read the whole book in a day and a half, slept a few hours in the middle.
    Yes, that was a really good read!

I am reading Mystery of the Exploding Teeth which is about medical curiosities throughout history. When I was little I would secretly look through my father's medical books with their fascinating photos of strange tumors and derelict body parts. That's the only explanation I have so far for checking out such an odd but interesting book.

Oh God, what is the mystery of exploding teeth? I have nightmares of crumbling teeth; I think it is because I grind them in my sleep.

Yppej
    Books about adversity:

The Soloist
    Hiroshima Diary
    The Long Walk

Fighting for My Life: How to Thrive in the Shadow of Alzheimer’s, by Tyrone and Sabbagh. Another cheery read...

ETA: I finished The Perfect Predator: A Scientist's Race to Save Her Husband from a Deadly Superbug: A Memoir and found it interesting--it recounts the use of specifically-matched bacteriophages to combat drug-resistant infections--which may be the state of the art in the future.

The Obesity Code, by Jason Fung, MD. I finally got around to reading this excellent exploration of how we gain weight, and why.

Beauty in the Broken Places: A Memoir of Love, Faith, and Resilience, ostensibly about a young doctor's recovery from a devastating stroke, it turned out to be a treacly paean to American privilege. There was very little ink wasted on rehabilitation, and his experience was nothing like any stroke recovery I've been privy to.

Just finished Where the Crawdads Sing. I enjoyed it for the most part.

Thread Information