Page 15 of 27 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading 2019?

I finished The Silent Patient which is a psychological mystery. I’m not sure if someone had recommended it. I thought it was – OK.

Rosa, I am dipping into The Death of Bees now and then and have been working on it for several weeks.It is somewhat interesting and I’m curious to know how it will end.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I had mentioned in a the Frugals thread that I cancelled a purchase of A Pattern Language by Christopher Alexander, and put it on my birthday wish list instead, and my DD bought me a used copy.

It's amazing! Definitely a keeper.
    I am flipping through A Pattern Language right now, copy from the library. It is very dense. I may have more to say about it later since I haven’t really read any of it but I’m just sort of wrapping my head around what it’s about.

I read A Pattern Language many years ago and it opened my eyes to why some buildings/houses charm us and others do the opposite. Such as more than one source of natural light in a room, ie at least two windows.

Yppej
    Fiction:

The Paris Architect
    Mystic River
    Dark Places
    The Other Einstein

The Coddling of the American Mind. It's a fascinating look into the current culture and the "ruin" (my word not theirs), of the younger generations. I encourage all educators and parents of youngsters to read it.

Last week I finished The Trip to Echo Springs by Olivia Laing. Great book--she examines drinking and alcoholism through the lens of 6 alcoholic writers--Hemingway, Tennessee Williams, F. Scott Fitzgerald, John Cheever, Raymond Carver, and John Berryman. Awesome, insightful book.

Lately, I've been reading writers who quoted The Brothers Karamazov, so last night I started that book. I've never read Dostoyevski before.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I just finished a great novel called Prep by Curtis Sittenfeld. I will say that I have a fondness for fiction set in East Coast preparatory academies. But this one is really good, a literary work of fiction, not a genre piece.

I got it for $.50 at the thrift store. The cover looked familiar, but I have not read it, probably checked it out of the library and returned it unread. Interestingly enough, the author lives here in my city, and she attended University of Iowa’s Writers’s workshop in my old stomping grounds so I feel an affinity for her.

Now I am nostalgic for the three other preppy/Ivy school novels I can think of: The New Girl, the classic The Group by Mary McCarthy,and.Donna Tartt’s .the Secret History.

Iris Lilies, that's a good genre, I was just hankering to reread the Group.

If that is your genre, check out Kate Walbert's His Favorites. Really good.

Just starting to read The Four Tendencies by Gretchen Rubin. My DGS informed me that I was a rebel based on his reading of the book. I did the online test and came out a rebel. I can be very stubborn when ordered to do something that I don't agree with.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    Iris Lilies, that's a good genre, I was just hankering to reread the Group.

If that is your genre, check out Kate Walbert's His Favorites. Really good.
    That is great! I AM now looking cor more in this setting.

My library has the Walbert book in digital,form, so that is perfect. i just checked it out.

Thread Information