Page 10 of 27 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading 2019?

Tripping over the Truth: How the Metabolic Theory of Cancer Is Overturning One of Medicine's Most Entrenched Paradigms
    by Travis Christofferson and Dominic D'Agostino. Metabolics, along with gut microbiomes and mitochondria, are having a moment.
    Last edited by JaneV2.0; 7-17-19 at 3:50pm.

The Dictionary Wars: The American Fight Over the English Language by Peter Martin. Not exactly beach reading, but quite absorbing if you are interested in the history of lexicography. Chronicles how Noah Webster's original dictionary fought it out with the later (and better) dictionary of Joseph Worcester. Kinda reminded me of OS2 vs. DOS, or VHS vs. Betamax. The best doesn't always win.

I just finished a terrific book. It's called "Evil Relations: The Man Who Bore Witness Against the Moors Murderers" (David Smith, brother-in-law of Myra Hindley). It once had a better title: "Witness." At least IMHO! It not only delves into the case of the crimes, but it's Smith's memoir of life growing up near Manchester, England. He died in 2012, shortly after the book was published. Sad story, made me cry, but overall, a triumph over adversity.

Currently reading, "Dying to Be Me," by Anita Moorjani. Subtitled, "My Journey from Cancer, to Near Death, to True Healing."

"As her organs failed, she entered into an extraordinary near-death experience where she realized her inherent worth . . . and the actual cause of her disease. Upon regaining consciousness, Anita found that her condition had improved so rapidly that she was released from the hospital within weeks—without a trace of cancer in her body!"

This book was lent to me by someone I admire a great deal, but frankly, I'm reading it with a good dose of skepticism.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

I haven't read Moorjani's book, but I believe Bill Moyers' Healing and the Mind, all of Bernie Siegal's books, and--most recently--Kelly Turner's Radical Remission are just a few volumes that carry the same message.

Quote Originally Posted by Gardnr View Post
    Unwinding of a Miracle. Just finished it. Incredible read of a woman's pathway from birth through a cancer death. Epilogue written by her husband.

I highly recommend this book. Next up? Educated!
    I finished the book Educated a few weeks ago. It was good. It is one of my sub genres, books by adults who are good writers who experienced a difficult childhood. I do like Autobiographies written by people who are not famous but who have a story to tell about their own life and who can tell that story well.

Along the same lines I just finished re-reading a book written by someone who teaches writing, so she knows how to write. It is the about of the birth of her premature twins and the long medical saga of many years that she and her family lived.The title is This Lovely Life by Vicki Foreman. Having very sick babies, having to negotiate the world of medicine and medical experts, having to watch tiny babies go through surgeries and agonizing treatments, UGG. This mother actually asked doctors at delivery for a DNR order for these babies, but physicians refused.

Paul Simon, A Life by Robert Hilyard. This is the authoritative biography of Simon written with Simon’s approval and contributions. But he didn’t have editorial control so it is objective.Reasonably interesting, gave lots of details about things I didn’t know but the over all arc was the story well known to me although I didn’t realize that Paul Simon was so Focused on how his work was received in the music world. He was constantly checking reviews and sales etc. throughout his career.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 7-19-19 at 5:02pm.

I really want to read "Educated." I've heard great things about it!
    I finished one book this week, and added nine to my list of books I want to read, so I'd better get going!
    The book I finished was Alan Alda's "If I Understood You, Would I Have this Look on My Face?" It was a good read. I never realized he was such a science geek, and he has a longstanding fascination with the difficulties we humans have in communicating with one another. Having been on more than one project team about improving communication in my former workplace, I have a continuing interest in the subject as well.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    Second Mountain by David Brooks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    I thought Witch Elm was very good, but not quite excellent. It was a gradually unfolding story line rather than some sort of thriller or page burner, which is not necessarily bad. Fun characters and a mystery that was not too far out and kept me guessing. I'm glad I read it, but was not really inspired to read other things by the author.
    Hmm, I will look into Witch Elm.

Really need to get "Educated." A friend of mine isn't willing to pay full price for it but really wants to read it. She's a good friend and I would lend it to her when I finish it. My sister was reading it and I asked if I could borrow it, but ~sigh~ she was reading it on a Kindle.

I heard Tara Westover interviewed on NPR; fascinating.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Currently reading Lost Without the River by Barbara Scoblic which is a memoir of her life growing up on a family farm in the 1930s-40s. It takes me back to my days of visiting grandparents on their farm.

Thread Information