Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading 2019?

What are you reading 2019?

I'm reading Aspergirls by Rudy Simone, and recognizing a lot of myself in it. There seems to be a lot of crossover between introversion and Asperger's; I'm beginning to think there's so much subjective judgment involved in the diagnosis of Asperger's that it's largely an arbitrary designation.

And I'm continuing to enjoy Michael Pollan's How to Change Your Mind, though I've switched to an audible version. If we had embraced psychedelics instead of greed fifty years ago, we'd be far better off now, IMO.

Yppej
    The Hazards of Time Travel by Joyce Carol Oates, a dystopian novel.

That's interesting, Jane. Didn't they decide not to make the Asperger's diagnosis anymore? I thought it was just absorbed into the general autism spectrum disorder diagnosis with no special designation.

I'm still reading "Done with the Crying." -Sheri McGregor
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Quote Originally Posted by KayLR View Post
    That's interesting, Jane. Didn't they decide not to make the Asperger's diagnosis anymore? I thought it was just absorbed into the general autism spectrum disorder diagnosis with no special designation.

I'm still reading "Done with the Crying." -Sheri McGregor
    Could be; I think I remember reading that--but I don't think that's particularly helpful, because it lumps a lot of wildly disparate people into one classification. Very loose--from the non-verbal low-functioning to the likes of Bill Gates or Temple Grandin.

They did get rid of it because I had to change that information on the class I teach. I think it’s a mistake because Aspergers allows a person to function at a much higher level.

I'm currently in the middle of "How the Other Half Banks" by Mehrsa Baradaran. An interesting look at the history of banking and finance in the US and the intertwining relationship between the banks and government throughout our history. It seeks to answer the question of whether banks have any sort of "public obligation" to provide services to those at the lower end of the income spectrum (as was considered to be the case for much of our history) or are they just like every other greedy corporation that should be allowed to seek profit at whatever cost to society with no obligation to give anything back in return.

I just finished Hemingway's "The Nick Adams Stories", a collection of short stories that was published in the 1920's. It takes snapshots of the outdoorsy Nick Adams from when he was young, through WWI, and his return home. The famous story is The Big Two-hearted River which is a masterpiece of a short story. And just started The Witch Elm.

Finally got the library's copy of 'Kingdom of the Blind' by Louise Penny. I reserved it mid-November!
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Rogar: I'll be interested to hear what you think of The Witch Elm. That was one I thought Iris Lilies might like.
    I'm currently reading and enjoying Beartown by Fredrik Backman, who wrote the delightful book A Man Called Ove.

I am reading several books:
    "Interview with the Devil" by Napoleon Hill,
    "12 Rules for Life: An Antidote to Chaos" by Jordan B. Peterson
    "Traction: A Startup Guide to Getting Customers" by Justin Mares
    "Don't Feed the Monkey Mind: How to Stop the Cycle of Anxiety, Fear, and Worry" by Jennifer Shannon

Whatever the mind of man can conceive and believe, it can achieve.

If you cannot do great things, do small things in a great way.

A goal is a dream with a deadline.

Napoleon Hill.
    Find your Financial Score

Thread Information